NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Wawayanda Salmon Help - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-27-2016, 08:49 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Wawayanda Salmon Help

Hi all,
Been following this forum for awhile, but this is my first time posting. I'm looking to see if anyone is willing to give up any advice on salmon fishing wawayanda. I've been there a couple times now, and have had no luck with salmon. I know where the two holes are, but any advice on how to fish them, best time of day, what lure/bait to use, anything would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:10 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Wawayanda Salmon Help

Welcome Struck!

Went there last weekend and picked up a few in the back hole. I was trolling spinner baits, wobblers and spoons about 15-20ft down for a few hours with no luck. I'm not sure when they start hitting lures again, but then I switched to herring, drifting in 85ft with my line down about 20ft and that's when I started landing fish. Weird how they were up so high that day, it was about 95 degrees out.

Need to go to the local tackle shop, get live herring and ask how deep they are on that day. I would also invest in some slip bobbers to try a few lines at different depths until you find them.

I will be going back last weekend of September or fist in October (weather pending). I am going to try to slow troll the live herring as well.

Best of luck and tight lines!
Old 07-27-2016, 09:23 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Waywayanda has been fished the same way for many many years. Drift fishing with live herring, about 25 or so feet down/.. Add a split shot or two to keep the bait down in the zone.. If you can keep the herring alive, you will catch fish... They won't hit other types of bait fish typically.. In that lake its pretty much herring if you want to fish with bait... bob
Old 07-27-2016, 09:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Waywayanda has been fished the same way for many many years. Drift fishing with live herring, about 25 or so feet down/.. Add a split shot or two to keep the bait down in the zone.. If you can keep the herring alive, you will catch fish... They won't hit other types of bait fish typically.. In that lake its pretty much herring if you want to fish with bait... bob
Hey Bob, do they normally stay down around 25ft all year? just curious. I would think as the weather turns during the seasons, they would come up closer. to the surface I was thinking they would be down deeper than 25ft in this heat.

Just since I am going to go in late september/early october again
Old 07-27-2016, 09:55 AM
NJFishing.com Member

I've had success trolling with leadcore for salmon on Waywayanda with spoons such as Michigan Stingers and DB Smelt.

Summer salmon fishing is tough with a more limited window for a good bite and you are better off trolling herring right now.

That being said, I highly recommend using leadcore. You can troll on a precise depth based on speed. Troll artificial lures faster than bait.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captiva View Post
I've had success trolling with leadcore for salmon on Waywayanda with spoons such as Michigan Stingers and DB Smelt.

Summer salmon fishing is tough with a more limited window for a good bite and you are better off trolling herring right now.

That being said, I highly recommend using leadcore. You can troll on a precise depth based on speed. Troll artificial lures faster than bait.
I've never used lead core so I am not sure what that's all about. I was using a 30# braid with #2 Planer with a 15ft floro leader trolling at 2mph.

I also have a #3 planer that I didn't use that day. I may try it next time. But will definitely slow troll live herring.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:23 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capspath83 View Post
I've never used lead core so I am not sure what that's all about. I was using a 30# braid with #2 Planer with a 15ft floro leader trolling at 2mph.

I also have a #3 planer that I didn't use that day. I may try it next time. But will definitely slow troll live herring.
If you fish still water trout consistently, a lead core set up is a good investment and I swear by it for trout and salmon. You can get a cheap conventional reel (preferably with a line counter) and spool it with 18lb leadcore and a 6 lb fluorocarbon leader about 8' or 9' long. The depth control is excellent and based on trolling speed - 1 mph sinks 14' per color, 1.5 mph sinks at 10' per color, and 2 mph sinks at 7' per color so you will know exactly where your bait or lure is being presented.

It is hard to establish a stocked landlocked salmon fishery anywhere and NJDEP does a great job managing the cold water fishery in these salmon lakes. Hoping to see more 20"+ fish in the future - the forage base is really good in all those lakes so hoping that they grow big!
Old 07-27-2016, 12:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capspath83 View Post
Hey Bob, do they normally stay down around 25ft all year? just curious. I would think as the weather turns during the seasons, they would come up closer. to the surface I was thinking they would be down deeper than 25ft in this heat.

Just since I am going to go in late september/early october again
Typically they are where the bait is... In small NJ lakes I think the thermocline is around 25 down in mid summer.. Herring will be there as they are not fond of warm water, and the salmonids will be near the bait pods.. I am no longer in NJ, so I am am NOT an expert, but typically when the water temps drop in fall, the fish will be more readily caught near the surface and close to shore.. Here in NY state on GIANT lakes that hold salmon and trout as well as Alewives/Herring/Sawbellies, there are ALWAYS fish that relate to the bait pods all year long .. However some will wander about away from the bait pods in the cooler more comfortable water.. They can be caught on spoons spinners, jigs etc.. Although live bait is deadly on Waywayanda, you simply don't cover a lot of water.. Nothing beats trolling in or around the thermocline with spoons on any lake with trout or salmon,, Lots more fish are exposed to your offering.. I would bet trolling with Dipsey Divers with spoons the shape of a herring would be a good way to get started, but I'll let the NJ guys give a definitive answer... bob
Old 07-27-2016, 12:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Typically they are where the bait is... In small NJ lakes I think the thermocline is around 25 down in mid summer.. Herring will be there as they are not fond of warm water, and the salmonids will be near the bait pods.. I am no longer in NJ, so I am am NOT an expert, but typically when the water temps drop in fall, the fish will be more readily caught near the surface and close to shore.. Here in NY state on GIANT lakes that hold salmon and trout as well as Alewives/Herring/Sawbellies, there are ALWAYS fish that relate to the bait pods all year long .. However some will wander about away from the bait pods in the cooler more comfortable water.. They can be caught on spoons spinners, jigs etc.. Although live bait is deadly on Waywayanda, you simply don't cover a lot of water.. Nothing beats trolling in or around the thermocline with spoons on any lake with trout or salmon,, Lots more fish are exposed to your offering.. I would bet trolling with Dipsey Divers with spoons the shape of a herring would be a good way to get started, but I'll let the NJ guys give a definitive answer... bob
Definitely will use this to get started! Thanks much!
Old 07-27-2016, 01:22 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks for all the info! Definitely going to help me. Any idea on best time of day? I was planning on being there as they open at 8am