NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

setup question for beginner - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-27-2017, 10:00 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Question setup question for beginner

Hey, all. Hope this is the right place for this. My 7 yr old sons are really getting into fishing (which reminds me of myself when i was their age). I haven't fished in probably 30 years, but a friend of mine has made two spinning rods for them to fish the Manasquan Reservoir, maybe Forge Pond, etc. I would really like to get a setup for myself, but I'm hoping for something a little more versatile. Ideally something that would let me fish with them, freshwater pond stuff, but also maybe something I could use in the Barnegat Bay (I live near the Manasquan Inlet) or the Metedeconk or Manasquan Rivers. I have my eye set on an UglyStik GX2, 7' Medium. I'd like to throw a Diawa BG on it. Here's the question: I can get the 3500 (which is probably more than I need) for less $$ than the 2000 or 3000 model. Is it ok to have a little more reel than necessary, other than dealing with the heavier weight? Would that combo give me the versatility i'm looking for, fresh/salt, pond/reservoir/bay/inlet?
Thanks; I appreciate your thoughts and guidance.
Rob
Old 08-27-2017, 11:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: setup question for beginner

I wished I got the smallest model of the BG. I got the 2500. Yet the most work I put into the reel is smallies on the Raritan,and they only run for a short distance before I can take control of them again. Your applications might require a bigger reel. I run 6lb test and have plenty of line on my reel.

The lighter my equipment, the more comfortable I am.

You'll get better advice from others, I'm.just going to say the BG is great. 2500 is still pretty light compared to some other reels I've held.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:09 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The specs on that BG 3500 match up with the line weight of the Ugly Stik you are lookin at. It's overkill for pond/pan fishing but you should be set up for larger freshwater fish and the bay and inlets. Your best bet would be to put the reel on the rod to feel how it weighs and balances. I do a lot of fresh water/salt water inshore fishing also and don't have anything over a 3000 series on my crossover setups.

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216

Last edited by ScowardNJ; 08-28-2017 at 09:33 AM..
Old 08-28-2017, 09:41 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScowardNJ View Post
The specs on that BG 3500 match up with the line weight of the Ugly Stik you are lookin at. It's overkill for pond/pan fishing but you should be set up for larger freshwater fish and the bay and inlets. Your best bet would be to put the reel on the rod to feel how it weighs and balances. I do a lot of fresh water/salt water inshore fishing also and don't have anything over a 3000 series on my crossover setups.
Thanks; i agree that the 3500 is probably more than i'll need but i can get it for $20 LESS than the 2000 or 3000. Seem silly to spend more for less reel unless it will really throw off the balance.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:42 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
I wished I got the smallest model of the BG. I got the 2500. Yet the most work I put into the reel is smallies on the Raritan,and they only run for a short distance before I can take control of them again. Your applications might require a bigger reel. I run 6lb test and have plenty of line on my reel.

The lighter my equipment, the more comfortable I am.

You'll get better advice from others, I'm.just going to say the BG is great. 2500 is still pretty light compared to some other reels I've held.
Thanks; I would get the smaller 2000 or 3000 but it'll cost $20 MORE than the 3500 where i'm shopping.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:39 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

It's only $20...for something you'll likely have and use for many years. Pretty sure ugly sticks are guaranteed for life and the daiwa, with routine maintenance when needed will certainly last. Using a versatile, balanced set up comfortably for years is worth $20.