NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

proline 251 repower questions ? need advise or answers - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 05-11-2017, 05:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default proline 251 repower questions ? need advise or answers

ok first things first , i have a 1996 proline 251 had a merc 225 efi with a single engine bracket! i since took engine off and currently parting out ! the boat placard says rated for 300 hp , here comes the tough question what should i put on with todays technoligy ? yamaha , evinrude ,merc, ect need input. i like yamaha so far ,! dont really wanna deal with 2 stroke oil ! another question is i wanna put a 350 but if i can only handle a 300 being thats what the placard says then so be it but, would i be able to put a 350 ? any input would be greatly appreciated ! and if u have had a repower done what do they include or what do u pay extra for when installing ! last but not least who or where are some places in middlesex or monmouth with really good quality work with installs and customer service
Old 05-12-2017, 07:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: proline 251 repower questions ? need advise or answers

If you stay with Merc the only place to buy is Almars in DE. They are just over the bridge. They have leftover engines with full factory warranty. Great pricing and NO TAX. They have been great to me over the years. Give Frank a call and he will price you for everything. 300 Verado. As far as going to 350. Nobody will install over the rating of the hull. I advise you to stay in the limits of the boat. You are looking for problems overpowering the boat.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

im trying to stay away from mercury, mercury is very expensive to fix ,their parts are way over priced and nobody can seem to figure things out when things go wrong (not even mercury) themselves ! i heard bout almars and going to delaware for tax purposes , thought about it but the boat is pretty big to trailer long distances and my trailer isnt up to par as it should be, because i usually slip and not far from where i live
Old 05-12-2017, 07:57 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I just re-powered my friend's 1980 Mako with a 250 Suzuki. It had the old 235 Johnson on it. I installed U-Flex Hyd. steering also. Boat runs out real nice.
The motor and rigging came from Chestnut Neck Boat Yard. Great people to deal with.
Not a fan of Verados at all. I would do an E-Tec over a Verado. But the E-Tec is 2 stroke and your going to have to use XD 100 oil.
MirrorCraft 16 Tin Northport Troller Johnson 25
Old 05-12-2017, 08:21 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

i was thinking etec i heard good things about them but i had the 2 stroke merc and dont wanna deal with adding oil and gas worrying if i have oil to mix or running out of oil ect , so etec is a no no ! so i guess my narrowing down to honda , zuki , yami , honda i heard is a pain in the ass if you need some work done , but they are great engines overall. havent really priced them but im sure they are pretty expensive .
Old 05-12-2017, 12:42 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I have a 2000 Proline 241 Walk, which was originally powered by a 250 Merc 2-stroke on a bracket. It was repowered with a 300HP Suzuki DF300, 4-stroke fly-by-wire. Could not be happier with the Zuke, plenty of power when you shove the throttle.

According to the specs of your boat here:

https://prolineboats.com/wp-content/...nformation.pdf

the dry weight of your boat is 4250 lbs without motor. Mine shows 3,740 lbs dry, but I have a hard top with structure which would easily push the weight over 4000 lbs.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: proline 251 repower questions ? need advise or answers

I repowered a 232 Grady gulfstream last year and Put on 300 Suzuki. I get 30 mph at 16 Gph. Top ends low 40's. At 6k. With different prop (3 blade)I got 47 mph at 27.5 gph. Top end. Current 4 blade is fast out of the hole but slower on top,end. Purrs like a kitten quiet and dependable. Boat weighs aprox 4150 plus hard top plus 20 hp,kicker and 148 gallons fuel. My guess is 5.5k fully loaded up.

Last edited by BCinerie; 05-13-2017 at 07:49 PM..
Old 05-13-2017, 08:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

looking at the specs from suzuki to yamaha , there is not much difference what have you noticed about the suzuki that u like ? it looks like yamaha might have a little more power even though they are both 300hp
Old 05-13-2017, 10:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I got a great deal on the Suzuki. I think it was 20 k installed with all new steering wiring etc and a 20 hp kicker included. It has a 6 year warranty and service is semi local and they answer phone on sundays if need be. Suzuki also has a special troll feature that shuts off 1/2 or something that's reduce fuel trolling. I did not get that because I have a 20hp,kicker. You should get mid/low 40's 27/28 cruise at 15/18 gph. All about the prop. Can get 45/46mph but will take forever to plane 4 blade prop will pop up in5 seconds but loose top,speed. All the motors are so close , The Etec is offering a 10 year warranty but has a 26k plus price tag. Can't go wrong with the Suzuki.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0588.jpg (6.5 KB, 210 views)
Old 05-13-2017, 10:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

im gonna go to a few dealers and look at options an pricing the warrenty is a big deal too so between yami an suzuk ill have to make a choice , i dont have any engine on boat now ,just removed my merc. i sanded bottom paint off the boat and repaired fiberglass in some spots, i have to rebarrier coat and repaint then off shopping i go !! time to get bass appeal back up an running !