NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

RV Fatties - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-25-2017, 10:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default RV Fatties

Trolled up today at the valley, had 1.5 to 2 colors of leadcore out. Released another about 16". I noticed a few fish being caught, but nothing crazy.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Fatties March 17'.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	107901  
Old 03-25-2017, 10:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: RV Fatties

Very nice.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 03-26-2017, 10:53 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

How is the water level at RV, is it up at all? I see most area reservoirs that were down considerably last fall are at or approaching full pool. I know they need to pump water into the Valley. I'm hoping the state took advantage of the wet winter to begin refilling it.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:29 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansnat View Post
How is the water level at RV, is it up at all? I see most area reservoirs that were down considerably last fall are at or approaching full pool. I know they need to pump water into the Valley. I'm hoping the state took advantage of the wet winter to begin refilling it.
Im curious to know how they pump water back in. I figured they just adjusted a hatch to let water out, probably by one of those dams, but in? Sounds like a lot of effort to just put water back into a place they'll eventually pour more out of. Surely good for us if so, better fishing
Old 03-26-2017, 11:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: RV Fatties

Best eating freshwater fish in NJ ! Nice fatties for sure !! The water is pumped in and out of Round Valley from the pump station on the South Branch of the Raritan river at Hamden road. They will not be putting water back into RV for many years to come from what I heard. The dam repair is still a few years away.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:57 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yesterday water was being pumped in from the base of the South tower...you could clearly see it being pumped in. The water level is currently at about 67% as per the region biologist.

The stone/gravel ramp is fine, but it's a two trailer at a time deal, and you get the usual where somebody is launching down the middle, etc. It's workable, but bring your patience with your boat.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Im curious to know how they pump water back in. I figured they just adjusted a hatch to let water out, probably by one of those dams, but in? Sounds like a lot of effort to just put water back into a place they'll eventually pour more out of. Surely good for us if so, better fishing
Unlike most reservoirs, there are no rivers or streams feeding Round Valley. Rain alone can't even keep up with the evaporation, let alone fill it. So they have massive pumps that keep it filled.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Best eating freshwater fish in NJ ! Nice fatties for sure !! The water is pumped in and out of Round Valley from the pump station on the South Branch of the Raritan river at Hamden road. They will not be putting water back into RV for many years to come from what I heard. The dam repair is still a few years away.
That's unfortunate news. It is so much more pleasant to camp, launch and fish there when it is at or near full pool.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
heres a link to whats going on there

http://www.njwsa.org/html/rv_project.html

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 03-26-2017, 01:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: RV Fatties

Love the silver color they acquire after being in there a while. Beautiful fish!!!