NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

8-12-15 - Good bite in Union County - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-13-2015, 08:42 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default 8-12-15 - Good bite in Union County

I managed to get out of work a little early and decided to break a two week slump by hitting up the one spot I almost always have luck. First I stopped by Dicks and picked up a new rod, medium-light action, as I was having trouble with my medium-heavy when fishing weightless senkos because I couldnt feel the lure, was having trouble determining when it hit bottom, and felt like I was missing light taps. I also picked up some darker senkos - black, and dark blue with light blue tip. Not sure if it was the new gear or if my timing was just good, but the first cast with a dark blue 5 inch senko found its way to a decent LMB hanging out under a tree by the outlet drain. Next two casts both picked up dinks. Unfortunately at that point a couple of loud kids then arrived and started fishing right next to me with worms and bobbers so I relocated, switched from a texas rig to wacky, and caught the second LMB below. The water was suprisingly clear after the downpour we got the day before and there was very little algae so for first time I was able to actually get a good idea where the deeper areas were in this pond. If I had more time I am sure I could have pulled a couple more out but given the choice of catching a few more bass or getting to spend some time with my one-year old son (and future fishing partner) before bed, I chose the latter. All in all it was just what I needed to break my slump. It seemed like both ponds I checked out were very active last night, not sure if it was due to the water clearing after the previous days rain or what, anyone else have particularly good luck last night?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c2294be1-4210-4c15-a1db-47ce9a5cf50e.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	87678   Click image for larger version

Name:	cc53fef2-a48d-4069-9dbd-7a8ac34f30d1.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	87679  
Old 08-13-2015, 09:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 8-12-15 - Good bite in Union County

Nice bass. I bet you were the best dressed fisherman on the lake.

I guess the fish are perking up a bit with the influx of cool rainwater. I hope this keeps up until the weekend when I can get outside.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:52 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by logs22 View Post
The water was suprisingly clear after the downpour we got the day before and there was very little algae so for first time
Glad to hear that. Haven't fished in a few weeks because it has been so bad in most Union County ponds. A buddy of mine on Saturday said Echo Lake was really the only fishable lake.

That being said it's time to invest in a heavier set up, finally convert to braid, and just learn to fight through the summer slop.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:58 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post

Nice bass. I bet you were the best dressed fisherman on the lake.

I guess the fish are perking up a bit with the influx of cool rainwater. I hope this keeps up until the weekend when I can get outside.

I knew that if I took the time to go home and change, domestic duties would prevent me from making it back out (which is why I always keep my gear in the car - for those nights when I need to "work" late).

At least I took my tie off....and the loafers enabled a much stealthier approach to the shoreline than my boots would have (although since they are now covered in mud a shine during lunchbreak may be in order).
Old 08-13-2015, 10:05 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngdumbandfulloffish View Post
Glad to hear that. Haven't fished in a few weeks because it has been so bad in most Union County ponds. A buddy of mine on Saturday said Echo Lake was really the only fishable lake.

That being said it's time to invest in a heavier set up, finally convert to braid, and just learn to fight through the summer slop.
The ponds in Cranford and Kenilworth havent been too bad with vegetation. The ponds down in Rahway, Clark, Winfield, etc. (at least the ones I have fished in past 2-3 weeks) are much worse.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:08 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post

I bet you were the best dressed fisherman on the lake.

Now the bar has been raised. I need to wear my tweed jacket, fedora hat and bow tie.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice work!
Old 08-13-2015, 02:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by logs22 View Post
The ponds in Cranford and Kenilworth havent been too bad with vegetation. The ponds down in Rahway, Clark, Winfield, etc. (at least the ones I have fished in past 2-3 weeks) are much worse.
I'm in Rahway so that's exactly what I've seen. Assumed Cranford/Kenilworth would be the same. Guess I'll take a detour on my way home.

Logs, keep sandals or sneakers in your car with your gear. Saves you from ruining work shoes. You can get them shined but once mud starts getting in the stiching and crevices its game over.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I can't stop picturing you taking that bass on a date to a fancy restaurant...
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 08-14-2015, 07:04 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice fish from our local waters dude! Some really good looking fish in our area if you can get through all the slime, sludge and algae!