NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fess Up! 2013 Bloopers and Blunders - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-28-2013, 07:00 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Fess Up! 2013 Bloopers and Blunders

Had the opportunity to re-cap the season with my brother on Christmas. Although we had a lot of great times & great fish, it came with price. List your year’s blunders!
*disclaimer: Bought first boat this year so cut me some slack
  • First time out: dead battery on elec. only lake.
  • Snif snif….smoking wires on trolling motor --time for some on-water surgery.
  • One broken rod --- ok two, but the second was my brother’s fault.
  • Water in gas tank through tank vent when water came over the back when beached (bad idea in a mod-V) led to stall on GL and a tow back to ramp. Foot went thru hatch when grabbing for tow-rope and stepped on screw leading to tetanus shot. What a day!
That’s all --for now--on a better note, discovered the shed and learned enough to yield some great fish. Can’t wait for 2014.

Ok—you’re up!
Old 12-28-2013, 07:23 AM
iceehot6766

Default Re: Fess Up! 2013 Bloopers and Blunders

Me and Dan defy any and all superstitions!!......No bloopers or blunders this year..at least on my end......Here's proof we don't care what they say!!

Happy New Years to all!!!

Last edited by iceehot6766; 12-28-2013 at 07:35 AM..
Old 12-28-2013, 04:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Fess Up! 2013 Bloopers and Blunders

I was on Lake Hopatcong last spring by myself. Had a great night fishing for Eyes and Hybrids. Got back to the ramp to load up the boat, I don't drive my boat up to the trailer. I walk on the tongue of the trailer and pull the boat in by hand than crank it up. I lost my footing this brisk spring night, 40 degrees, and went for a swim. Soaked to the bone laughing at myself, I fell straight back doing a reverse belly flop into the still cold water. That was alot of fun!!!! LOL, I couldn't stop laughing and cursing at myself the entire ride home. GOOD STUFF!!!
Old 12-28-2013, 04:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Haha nice thread

I bought a new boat this year with roller trailer and discovered that the boat DOES roll off the trailer quite easily LOL-- I dumped the boat while backing up to shove off on land on the boat ramp sand & rocks of clinton reservoir in Aug !
That was the end of my transducer!
Old 12-28-2013, 07:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Had my boat serviced this year. First trip after getting it back the wife and I hit LH for her first time there. As we are putting the boat in she asks "Did you put the drain plug in?" So I say sure did....About an hour and a half later I come down off the front deck and step in a puddle all around the console area. So I'm like ...I must not have put that plug in. As I'm cursing myself out I come to find that the plug is in but the the guys that serviced the boat had broken the inbound hose connection off of my live well pump! There had to be 200 gallons of water in the bottom of my boat. (16 ft Tracker Deep V) The water was up to the top of my batteries and filled the bottom of the boat. To which my wife said I thought the boat felt "funny" when we launched!

Thank God the bilge pump worked like a charm. But that was the end to our day as had no tools onboard to do a repair. At least I know my boat is hard to sink!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Ha ha, the good times, lol. Was out once with my brother this year in the midst of a 90 something degree mid summer day. Motoring a shallow section of river I bumped the trolling motor on a rock.........

No biggie right? Kept goin for a while, then out of nowhere, the motor stops working. Ended up snapping the center pin that spins the prop. Worked fine long enough for us to add another 30 mins onto our row back to the launch, lol. Ended up being a cheap easy fix, but that row back, against the current, really SUCKED............
Old 12-28-2013, 09:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have many this year one was I forgot to put the boat plug and found out early but didnt have a pump to pump it out so I had to use a water bottle for two hrs then this one hurt but was beyond funny afterwards my cousin went to pick up a bass by the mouth in monksville and I seem it coming but the hook pops out and goes into his hand and had to bite a rag and rip it out with pliers. Haha
Old 12-28-2013, 10:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Fess Up! 2013 Bloopers and Blunders

A lake trout at Merrill Creek did 20 loops around my anchor rope, I pulled so hard the rod snapped in half. Thought the line would break first, guess I was wrong.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was fishing for pike and muskie bait on a river about a month ago and one of my carp fishing buddies came and put out a few rods out for carp. He hooked into a carp and I grabbed the net to help him land it. The bank where we were fishing was a 3' high undercut mud bank and I was about 1 foot from the edge about to net his fish when the bank gave way and I went head first into 40 degree water. I decided to keep fishing even though I was freezing because I had some dry clothes in the car. When I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and saw I had 5 missed calls I remembered we had ordered Chinese food to the park and I gave them my number. The poor guy had been driving around for 15 minutes looking for us. Eventually I ended up with dry clothes, hot soup and egg rolls, and the delivery guy got a good tip.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Newbies to launching a boat we decided to hit the Passaic for some Fall Pike. We hit our launch destination at around 10 am and the fun began. My buddy backed the van down to the water a little fast and yours truly dropped the rope attached to the boat . Now the 14 footer was floating out in the beautiful Passaic a few hundred yards from a waterfall. I never felt so helpless for about 10 seconds, what a feeling. So I had to put all those YMCA lessons back in the day to the test. Swam out to the boat in slightly cold water and brought it back. I still haven't gotten the stink off my clothes . Well lesson learned anyway. . Won't happen again. Needless to say , no Pike that day!!