NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Mary had a little SLAB - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-22-2013, 09:46 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Mary had a little SLAB

Got out with a couple buddies last night to the Land of the Skunks from 7pm-1130pm for some full moon festivities. Paddled around for a bit, watched Ringwood Police pull over and tow a car, then found a nice spot to set up on land near a dropoff after dark. Drowned some Herring with no luck, but found some SLABS on the feed. We jigged them up for a couple hours after dark, most of them fat, round, 12"+ fish. Biggest was this one, a nice 15", which equaled my personal best Crappie. Was hoping some 'Eyes rolled through, but none were landed. Water temps were 79 degrees in the deeper areas and 81 in the shallows. Couldn't see a thermocline on the FF, but Herring on the bottom wouldn't last more than 10 minutes without kicking the bucket.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek

Last edited by Skunk City; 08-22-2013 at 10:20 AM..
Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 AM
iceehot6766

Default Re: Mary had a little SLAB

NOT a crappy day with that kind of action.....Nice night out...
Old 08-22-2013, 10:09 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Sweet!!!!!! Gotta Love Them Crappies
Old 08-22-2013, 10:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thats a slab for sure...nice catching.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Those are some serious nj crappie!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

good job skunk, those are some nice slabs u got there a good way to fish the herring is just liveline em w a splitshot, they will stay as deep as they can without dieing too quickly, they eventually do fighting the weight of the splitshot tho.

My next invention is gonna be some kind of GPS tracker that u can clip to a fish fin, and find the thing on your sonar or Ipad or something. Id love to kno where those thousands of eyeballs put in there yearly are hanging out, you never hear of them up there, even in the spring theres no nite bite, and with all the herring in there, what is the deal? I kno u put some time in up there, how the hell u keep going back I dont kno, props to you for stickin w the place
Old 08-22-2013, 12:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Wow, Mary, that's a really nice crappie! Did ya eat it? They are yummy.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
good job skunk, those are some nice slabs u got there a good way to fish the herring is just liveline em w a splitshot, they will stay as deep as they can without dieing too quickly, they eventually do fighting the weight of the splitshot tho.

My next invention is gonna be some kind of GPS tracker that u can clip to a fish fin, and find the thing on your sonar or Ipad or something. Id love to kno where those thousands of eyeballs put in there yearly are hanging out, you never hear of them up there, even in the spring theres no nite bite, and with all the herring in there, what is the deal? I kno u put some time in up there, how the hell u keep going back I dont kno, props to you for stickin w the place
We were discussing the same thing last night. Guys (including myself), have banner days/nights at Lake Hopatcong, Greenwood Lake, Swartswood, etc., but you never hear about anyone "killing it" at Monksville. We've fished the herring spawn there, fished after the turnover with jigs, and pretty much everything in between. During the Spring, I fished LH one night and killed it, then went to Monksville the very next night and got the skunk. You may be on to something with that Fin GPS tracker lol . My buddy landed a very nice 26" Walleye there on Tuesday night in the same general area that we fished last night. Without that fish, noway would my ass have been there last night lol.

Talk about a love/hate relationship, she treats me like shit, gives me something nice every once and a while, then goes back to being the evil, skunky b*tch that she is .

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Old 08-22-2013, 02:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish n Jeep
Wow, Mary, that's a really nice crappie! Did ya eat it? They are yummy.
We threw everything back last night. I'm predominately catch and release unless someone asks me to bring something home for them. These definitely would have made some nice Crappie Fingers though lol.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Old 08-22-2013, 03:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk City
I'm predominately catch and release...
Me too, I don't like cleaning fish. I went crappie fishing with a coworker when I was living in Missouri (crappie are a huge thing out there) and we had a fish fry that night in camp. So tasty... prior to that I had no interest in eating anything from freshwater. I've heard snakeheads and flatheads are supposedly tasty, I'm thinking an invasive species festival would be fun.