NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tried some PA lakes today - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-16-2013, 06:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Tried some PA lakes today

I met up with my brother for some PA bass fishing. The first spot we checked out was Leaser Lake, more for scouting purposes than on the belief we would do well. The dam was recently rebuilt, and the lake is rising to its former levels. Lots of flooded shoreline brush, and there were baitfish everywhere, from 1/2" up to about 2 inches. It looks amazing, but the state stocking hasn't quite taken hold yet. My brother and I both agree that, in about five years, Leaser Lake will be one of the better lakes in eastern PA.

After that we headed to Minsie Lake, and it looks like every bass fisherman's dream: lots of pads, spatterdock, and submerged weed beds. As soon as we walk up to the first spot a fish darted into the shallows to gobble some baitfish. We fished there four about two hours, and between the two of us we nailed 3 bass and 3 pickerel, including a nice ~20" chainside. Bass were nice and dark, and the pickerel were all fat and healthy. The vast majority of the action came from skating soft plastics over the tops of the pads. Strikes were explosive, to say the least. Lots of people were fishing, and lots of people were catching sunnies and a few pickerel.

If anybody has a boat, canoe, or yak, I would strongly recommend checking out Minsie Lake. There is lots of lake that is not accessible from shore, but it's small enough so that you could fish the whole thing in a day. Plus, seems like there are some really nice fish in there.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 06-17-2013, 05:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Tried some PA lakes today

Minsi was down about 4-5 feet earlier in the year for dam repairs. Should have seen it then. Whoa. Fish were easy pickings since they only had so much water to hide(normal pool is about 110 acres; it was down to about 2/3 of that). More pickerel than bass but a few 2-3 lbers came to hand.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Great place to icefish. Fish there often on the ice. Also got on the emerald lakes and promised land thanks to my Pennsyltucky connection. Really nice area, well certain areas of the Poconos.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

How is the walleye fishing in Minsi? Apparently PA stocks it with fingerling walleye every year.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 06-18-2013, 07:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Never hear about anyone catching the Eyes there. I'm thinking they are not doing well. I'll contact my friend to see if anyone has caught the elusive eye at Minsi.