NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Bass on the beds - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-12-2013, 12:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Bass on the beds

So got out with my cousin last night for an hour and much to my surprise we killed it! picked up 9 LMB between us ranging from about 2 lbs up to around 5ish. Water clarity was literally about 3 inches but that didn't seem to deter them from biting. I was throwin' my jig w/craw trailer which has been working fantastic for me of late. Anyway I noticed some fins a little raw on a few of the fish which is kind of strange because I haven't noticed the bass bite really turn on yet and now their almost in spawn on the beds. What stage are the bass in your area guys? I can speak for the rivers as well and they are pretty much in the same state. The spring fishing just seemed far to short this year.

P.S.: Can anyone help me find a slip up in Greenwood Lake? I have a boat that I recently acquired on unfortunate terms due to a death in the family but I want to get it in the water ASAP. I have seen a few marinas online but honestly the prices seem quite steep. Feel free to PM me I could really use some help with this one. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2013, 03:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Bass on the beds

I've been bass fishing a local lake and the bass were scarce till the last week or so. Been doing very well prior to this rain, been off a bit but haven't noticed any beds in this lake as of yet. No really sure what's up with the bass. Most of my bass have come after dark not many biting during the day?I would tend to think most bass a still late prespawn/spawn based on the activity. Really odd the way it is this year, I think the weather has been a huge contributing factor this year. Been relatively cool and very windy
so far this spring with barely any rain. Hoping the bite turns back on soon,
fished hard the other night and only had four all night. Been very selective to what they will hit as well. Don't know if it's that way everywhere or just this lake only? Haven't been fishing too many other lakes cause it's been so good but may have to change it up and see what going on elsewhere this week........................
Old 05-12-2013, 03:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yeah I would agree that the weathers been a huge factor. Surprisingly id say 90% of my fish the last two weeks have been on the jig w/craw trailer. Smallies the same but on a steady retrieve but the largemouth is same setup but poppin it along the bottom with short pauses. Its honestly very similar to how I fish for winter bass which is just strange for this time of year. Ill also add that I have thrown a lot at them including senkos, spinners, stick baits, jerk baits, topwater and live bait with the winner being the jig and trailer. Pike bite for me has essentially turned off but I was picking them up about 2 weeks ago solely on live bait.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I fished a tournament saturday on the upper chesapeake bay.It appeared about 75% were spawned out.lots of fish caught.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by basspilot
Yeah I would agree that the weathers been a huge factor. Surprisingly id say 90% of my fish the last two weeks have been on the jig w/craw trailer. Smallies the same but on a steady retrieve but the largemouth is same setup but poppin it along the bottom with short pauses. Its honestly very similar to how I fish for winter bass which is just strange for this time of year. Ill also add that I have thrown a lot at them including senkos, spinners, stick baits, jerk baits, topwater and live bait with the winner being the jig and trailer. Pike bite for me has essentially turned off but I was picking them up about 2 weeks ago solely on live bait.
Pike bite has turned off for me as well. Went from killing it to skunking it. Post spawn recovery? Temp change?

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek