NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Rvr 10/22 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-22-2012, 03:07 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Rvr 10/22

With the day off work I decided to hit Round Valley. I had 2 rods going with M&M's and not a single bit in the 5 hours I was out there. I saw a few rainbows cruise by but none were taking.

Around noon I saw a splash about 30 feet out so I cast a 2" swimbait out towards it and hooked into a feisty skinny brown. I went to take a picture but couldn't get the auto-timer to work so it just took a picture when I pressed the button, the wife messed with the settings and with the sun and no reading glasses and wanting to get the fish back in a picture wasn't in the cards..... Well sort of. I was holding the net in front of the camera when the camera kept taking pictures when I didn't want it to.

Lots of baitfish back there. I noticed it last week too. Babies about an inch to ones about 3 inches long. Very nice to see, hopefully it will fatten the browns up.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Rvr 10/22

It looks like a nice Brown. Well the ass end of it looks good!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Old Soft Salt

How was the wind?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

nice net moz
Old 10-22-2012, 04:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice catch.

Saturday afternoon I was standing in the exact spot where you were standing when you took that picture. I was asking a guy sitting there how he did and he said he hadn't caught anything yet.

I was only there for maybe five minutes, but I just felt discouraged and pessimistic about the fishing that day. I looked down at the water, didn't see any fish, packed up my stuff and left.

I hate Round Valley. Over the past eight years or so, I have had a FEW unforgetable days there when the trout were piled up against the shoreline like lemmings eagerly attacking every piece of Power Bait thrown to them, -but mostly I just get skunked.

I dropped by the reservoir a few times this year and haven't even seen a trout, except for a few on the end of other peoples' stringers.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

She did have a nice butt I guess. LOL, when I went to delete the pictures on the camera and saw I had that I figured a "half-ass" photo was better than none.

Wind was honking all day Wilson. Right in my face too. There were a few lulls but it wasn't too bad.

Eskimo; RVR is definitly a test of patience, and persistence is really what's needed to squeeze anything out of it. I've caught some really big ones back in that spot, and had one banner day where I got 5 (all on lures) but I've had many a day where I put 5 hours in for a skunk. I like heading back to that spot though as you don't get the muppets that you do in the boatramp area and it's a really good spot for sight-fishing.