NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

9/17/12 small pond bass - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-17-2012, 07:10 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default 9/17/12 small pond bass

Hit a small public pond near me and did fairly well despite bluebird skies and high pressure. Caught a decent amount of bass in the 8 to 17" range with the four below being the largest. Nothing huge but some solid, healthy fish. It was 50/50 split with some bass on buzzbaits and others on a inline spinner of all things.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:43 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: 9/17/12 small pond bass

small pond, nice bass. looks like they've been eating
Old 09-17-2012, 04:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: 9/17/12 small pond bass

Def some solid, healthy fish.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice bass.
Always keep your small ponds a secret. It takes relatively little pressure to ruin them.

There used to be a nice little pond I used to fish that somebody had stocked with bass and sunfish. Catching big bass in the little pond was like shooting fish in a barrel. A lot of locals fished there, but they always released their bass. Every time they fished there, they caught the same bass and released them again.

Eventually the 'non-locals' found the pond and couldn't believe their luck! They set up huge family picnics on the banks of the pond and took EVERY #%$&*# bass they caught home with them. They left NOTHING behind but food wrappers, napkins, and diapers.

It really broke my heart. :-(

Last edited by Eskimo; 09-17-2012 at 05:17 PM..
Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Been there, seen that - on many small ponds. Although word of mouth spreading among individuals can hurt the fishing, its the groups that show up in vans with 6 people and 15 poles between them that really ruin spots. The garbage I can deal with, the taking of every legal-size fish I cannot. Although what they do is legal, our culture seems to be the only ones that understand C&R. I work with people from russia, bulgaria, romania, peru and china. When I show them pics of big fish(like the pike) they all ask the same thing: how did it taste? I try to explain the C&R policy and its benefits but they still say letting them go is dumb since they'll die anyways Anyhow, I never say where I go unless its well known. The fact is there are no secret places - just places. As popular as say Spruce Run Reservoir is, I've had plenty of 3,4,even 5 hr trips where I saw one or two boats. I've had other trips where within 10 minutes of being there, I've already seen 15-20 boats. Just like catching fish, its all about luck and timing.

Last edited by buzzbaiter; 09-17-2012 at 08:10 PM..