NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Dick's, living up to their name - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-05-2012, 06:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Dick's, living up to their name

Buyers beware- I stopped by Dick's today to pickup some line. Every aisle in the fishing department had a sign that said "additional 50% off red tag clearance items". I spent the next hour selecting about a hundred bucks worth of red tag items and matching their upc codes with those on the hangers to be sure I had the right ones. I get up to the cashier and tell him that all the items were red tagged so they should be an additional 50% off. He was a nice kid and he said some guy gave him a hard time earlier regarding the sale. He starts ringing the stuff up and guess what? None of it is marked down. He calls the manager over who was less than enthusiastic and she tells me the items aren't on sale. I assured her I compared upc codes and they were indeed marked down in the aisle. I gathered all the stuff up and went back with the guy from the dept to show him where they came from and he pointed out a line of fine print on the bottom of the sale sign that you would need reading glasses to see that said "applies to prices ending in 93 and 97 only". Coincidentally, though red tagged, all 20 items I had picked out ended in 99, I couldn't believe it! I wish I had my cell with me to take a picture of the sign. I handed him the basket with all the stuff, told him how deceptive I thought that was, and walked out. Even Sports Authority, my last choice for stuff puts green stickers on whatever's 50% off clearance when they run their sale. The ones I really feel sorry for are the poor kids working the register and stockroom that are left to tell the customers about the fine print and then put the items back on the shelf!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Dick's, living up to their name

DICKED at Dicks...ouch

Your post points out that "Buyer be ware" is certainly a concern wherever you shop, so pay attention to details and don't fall for the bait and dick!

Most of the times ya get the discount regardless when brought up as an issue, if they fight it...leave the stuff at the counter, tell em off in a loud manner that other customers hear, and give'em the NJ salute out the door.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Dick's, living up to their name

i had a problem with Dicks's last month...tried buying a 3 pack of football jigs on sale for $5.99. it wouldnt ring up on the register. the cashier spent 10 minutes trying to ring it up, typing in all these codes but the item was not in the system. i told him it was on sale for 5.99... eventually he got the manager to look for the item on the shelf in the fishing department to prove i was telling the truth but he couldnt find it. so i had to go to the back of the store myself and find the location where i got them from, it clearly said 5.99 so he radioed the cashier the sale price and i ran back to the front of the store. by that time the line was 10 people long and i had to wait on the first two before he checked me out. luckily i paid the same 5.99 but wasted 15-20 minutes of valueable fishing time...