NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Lake trout fishing in NJ? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-04-2012, 01:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Lake trout fishing in NJ?

Interested in targeting some lakers in NJ waters. I usually fish for them up in Lake George NY on top in the spring when they are feeding on the spawning smelt and trolling with down riggers later thru the season.
What are my NJ options to target them. I have NO BOAT other than a kayak.
Round Valley, Merril Creek?
Where to go?
What to use?
Thx,
Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Lake trout fishing in NJ?

I used to fish for them at Merril Creek by double anchoring in spots that were between 80 and 110 feet of water. Often times on extreme dropoffs where one end of the boat was 10+ feet shallower than the other. Drop down herring and you could catch up a mess of fish quickly. Reel up very slowly and make sure you see air bubbles being 'burped' out.

I'm not sure if its feasible to fish that deep with live bait from a kayak. Maybe on a windless day you could drop down and drift very slowly.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Not an expert by any means but have fished Round Valley for them several times with a buddy. Similar to what was described below....anchoring over 100' of water dropping herring. I have heard that in the cooler months they do come shallower and there are some good spots close to the launching areas that could be accessed by a Kayak. RV is big though and that wind can stir it up quick so I would watch the weather closely. Lebanon Bait and Sport (on this site under Tackle and Bait Shops) is right on 22 west just east of RV and they would be a great resource for you to check out.

Good Luck.....and let us know how you do.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks for the ideas. Anchoring in 100 + fow in a yak is tough.
I was hoping that i could just drop down and drift baits.
I have fished RVR over 20+ years ago from shore and I do remember the wind. Its something everyone mentions so it must be bad.
I would prefer someone to fish with so I can understand the water before I venutre out alone. I wear full dry suits and a floatation vest at all times when on the yak.
Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Lake trout fishing in NJ?

You can definitely drop down and drift baits. Thats all I used to do there when I still had my 9.9 on the boat. I never used herring, shiners worked just fine. I always used extra large shiners. Lures I used were the Binsky, Kastmasters and Crippled Herring. Drop em down and jig up let the spoon flutter down naturally. Give em hell buddy!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If you r in a yak just use a 3 way setup. Run about 10 feet of lighter line off the bottom to a deep sea weight, I would start w 2 ounces. then use a superthin light spoon like needlefish or michigan stinger, OR use a live bait mouth hooked w about 4-5 feet of leader off it and drift it slow if using live bait or let teh wind take u if using a spoon or paddle slow. Works good just gotta be ready for the strikes. another good way is w a fish finder rig w about 1/2 ounce to 3/4 ounce egg sinker behind a swivel and use a strike guard. U could run 2 rods like this easily and cast w a 3rd. Throw spoons like mentioned all the way to bottom and flutter them in and up
Old 09-04-2012, 03:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Jimmy, I was thinking that same idea of the 3 way el cheap down rigger set up. I was thinking like 4 or 6 lb test on a 4 oz weight which will snap off accordingly.
So who wants to do this. I want to fish but prefer floating with a few other guys.
If no one wants to yak ill split costs on your boat.