NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

kermit comes thru - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-24-2012, 07:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default kermit comes thru

hit a local farm pond tonight and caught a few nice ones on the old reliable ribbon tail worm. switched to a frog as I'm determined to figure that thing out and this guy inhaled it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	warren farm pond bass 8 24 2012b.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	52763  
Old 08-24-2012, 08:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: kermit comes thru

I've gotten 278384828282 blowups on frogs this year and 0 fish.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycomps
hit a local farm pond tonight and caught a few nice ones on the old reliable ribbon tail worm. switched to a frog as I'm determined to figure that thing out and this guy inhaled it.
Where you fishing pads, grass, or other weed growth?

I have also tried all sort of frog presentations...figured what a great presentation...just to be foiled...lure caught my eye and not a fish

Other presentations seem to work IMO, but I have struggled with a frog.

Maybe need to scale down, or slow down the presentation?

My experience is typically fishing lily pads and shoreline grass here in NJ
Old 08-24-2012, 11:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I love fishing frogs. Only problem is, the blowup to hookup ratio is abysmal. One problem being that the strike is so vicious, you set the hook too soon out of reflex and pull the bait out of the fish's mouth. If you wait at least two seconds and set the hook HARD, you should get more fish. Braided line also helps.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 08-25-2012, 07:23 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I noticed last night that the strikes required accurate casts. I was standing on a dock and able to reach 50% of the shoreline across from me. The target zone was grass, then three feet of space, then underwater salad began. if I cast the frog either on shore and hopped it in, landed it right in front of the grass, or hung it on an overhanging shrub and made it dance in and out of the water (one of my favorites) it would get hammered immediately. I must have had at least a dozen strikes only to hook that one fish. I have, however retrained myself not to go for an immediate hookset. I've read that often what they do is tail smack it to stun it and then come back for it but this was not the case. The one guy inhaled it so that's how he got hooked. One thing I didn't try was scenting the frog, I noticed they'd hit it hard, the frog would dissapear for a few seconds then pop back up as if after tasting it they rejected it. The frog frustrates the hell out of me but being able to cast directly into what would otherwise be a sure snag and solicit the kind of blowups it gets is amazing!

the above pertains to bass, the pike I've caught with it hammer it and swim away with it in their mouths hooking themselves when the line goes tight.

ps- I'm ordering a trailer hook today and will update the strike to hookup ratio when I get it-

http://www.lftlures.com/categories/f.../products/1790
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hidden bass pond with dockb.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	52809   Click image for larger version

Name:	frog trailer hook.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	52819  

Last edited by tycomps; 09-05-2012 at 12:47 AM..
Old 08-25-2012, 02:10 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I too have trouble hooking bass on frogs--now I have switched to a tube bait texas riggged with the point barely thru the plastic---the body flattens on the strike and hookups are a lot more common---they come in a lot of colors and have had luck with most colors including bright non frog colors that are easy to see in low light--I tend to use the biggest size I can find--good luck
Old 08-25-2012, 02:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yeah, basically I use my worm texas rigged weedless for casting parallel to the shore and it's deadly. I don't like to weight it though because I find the majority of the bass that take it hit on the fall. I use the frog when I need to reach the opposite shore as it casts a mile and the unweighted worm wont reach that far. Landing the frog within six inches of the opposite shore more often than not gets it hammered immediately or after a single twitch.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Ive been using the SPRO or booyah style frogs that have a popper lip in front in a small size. I get about 50/50 hookups w them they are so soft the material gives easily and theres 2 hooks on each side. They work great cast a mile and u have to work them slow unless u want to pop alot of water. I tried about 10 diff style frogs from plastics to rubber etc. These seem to work the best.....
Old 08-25-2012, 02:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

thanks jimmy, I've tried the smaller size but like the unweighted worm they don't cast completely across the ponds I fish. I'm hoping that the trailer hooks I ordered will cause the ones that smack it immediately to hook themselves from bite force. One thing I've yet to try though are the Ribbit frogs that you rig yourself.

Last edited by tycomps; 08-25-2012 at 02:56 PM..
Old 08-31-2012, 01:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

haven't gotten my trailer hook yet but tried something new today. last week while fishing I found a bag of creature baits. rigged one texas unweighted and it floats. it casts decent too so I used my frog presentation and went 4/4 on hookups.