NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Passaic conditions - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-18-2012, 09:08 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Passaic conditions

Anybody go out on the Passaic today? Going out tomorrow and was wondering about the water conditions?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:05 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Passaic conditions

Going by USGS gauges, in Fairfield its up about a foot from friday and dropping; in Chatham its up about 3-4" and leveling off...it will be cloudy in most areas for a few more days as it takes a loooong time for the silt/mud stirred up from rain to settle. Thats the biggest issue the river has: even the slightest bit of rain and its turns to chocolate. Odd thing is, the further downstream you go, the clearer it gets. I've seen it a yoohoo colored mess in Chatham and 5 miles downstream its turbid but fishable.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks for the info. I let you how I make out today.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I was out yesterday. Buddy of mine got a new trolling motor he wanted to test drive. Water level and flow were up and it was super muddy. Days catch was a couple 1# largies.

Did see just about the coolest Passaic pike hunting contraption ever. Ran into a guy out there with a kayak with an INBOARD MOTOR!!! Sick!! Let's just say, I was ready to make an offer.

Second time we ran into him he said it was tough day as well but did manage to catch a couple. Didn't get into specifics on size or location though.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

hobie makes an evolve electric motor that replaces the foot drive paddles for when you get tired-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB18vUrhhi8

the 12' fisherman is on my xmas list!!
Old 08-19-2012, 02:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That things pretty cool too. But this had to be custom. Gas powered, inboard motor. He was cruisin over some shallow stuff without backin off the throttle, that is after he politely puttered by us.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I've seen him a few times. He launches from private property in an industrial park where I work so I know when he's lurking about. He usually fishes on weekdays after 4 or 5 pm. If u get on the water before that, you be able to fish over undisturbed fish. Once he launches, forget it. If I see his truck, I don't fish since he'll spook everything(not picking on him just saying that when the river is low like it is now, any boat passing through will put fish down for awhile). More than once I've been on the river and after an hour of nothing, I look up and see why - canoe or boat coming back my way. Catching fish is mostly luck and big part of that is fishing over undisturbed fish. U can't control it so your at the mercy of lady luck - good & bad
Old 08-19-2012, 04:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I wondered that. Although really cool, it was loud as hell which I would imagine spooks the fish a bit. But I'm pretty sure we caught 1 or 2 of the bass shortly after he passed by.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:38 PM
NJFishing.com Member

That was me making all that noise. I've been on the river with varying versions of that thing since 2005. I never ever used to see people on the river back then.

I try to ease past people with the least amount of noise and wake. I can go just about anywhere with that thing.

I'm not sure about the un-disturbed fish though. Lots of times I fly up a section of the river and then drift back down. Many times I've caught fish I've just blown by 5 minutes ago.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I use to have many places to myself - from barely fished tiny trout streams to beaver pond bass ponds - but with the onset of the internet era, many of those spots have been outted and not by me. I never answer pm's about where I was or nor do I ask. I get more enjoyment exploring on my own then being spoon fed a spot or two. I'm sure it sucks seeing the competition increase. Just in the few months I've been piking, I've seen angler usage on the river way up. Just last weekend I tried a new place. I get to the pulloff spot and happily see no other cars. I'm there about 15 minutes with 3 pike already caught and thinking gonna be a big day. Nope. One guy walks past with pole in hand and a spinnerbait on his line. 5 minutes later, 3 guys in a truck drive by on a hiking trail(which they r not allowed to do), park by the river, hop out, spread out and start fishing about 500' from me. I stopped right there and went to a different river altogether. Sometimes things go from looking good to horrible in mere minutes.