NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Passaic experts please. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-16-2012, 04:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Passaic experts please.

Ok, let me start this off by saying I am not looking for anyone to burn specific spots. I'm a fisherman too, I know thats a no-no.
Now, my buddy and I have been really itching to catch our first pike and the Passaic deffinitely sounds like the place to go. However, this area is about an hour and a half away from me and we only have until about 2:00pm to fish tomorrow. So its not like we can go up and explore mile after mile tomorrow.

I was thinking about starting where the passaic meets the pompton at 2 bridges rd and working my way back down east along the passaic(towards the patterson area/general direction. Am I in the complete wrong direction? Should I be starting way further east(garfield and east) or maybe even the other way on the other side of the Meadows?

Like I said I'm not looking for you to burn your honey hole. Just maybe two towns to work in between or something like that. PM me if you like thats fine too. Ive been aksing alot of questions on here and you guys have been great so far. Thanks for everything.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Passaic experts please.

click on "search" and type 'passaic river pike', that should give you a good idea.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Ive never fished it so my 2 cents is to concentrate on current and depths. Anywhere u see a current break whether in the middle or off to the side and u have some depths, OR u have a spot where u can see deeper pools thats where Id be casting. Weed lines or cover only helps either type out. Pike are oppurtunistic feeders and wait in water breaks for something to swim by. If ur using spinnerbaits put on a trailer hook, anything else u can get a trailer hook or sometime of hook onto do so. U will miss at least half ur blowups w them. My favs are topwater walking baits and spinnerbaits w pike. Jerk baits like rapalas are good too, if the water is murky which it prob will be use bright colors, chartruese, fire tiger, clown patterns, that sort of stuff.........good luck I do know alot of people launch small stuff in fairfield and that immediate area, either direction is prob good
Old 08-16-2012, 06:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Forgot to say, I'll be fishing from land. The friend I'm going with doesn't have a kayak so I'll leave mine home
Old 08-17-2012, 09:31 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

start at the bridges, particularly ones with center supports.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Just want to say thanks to those who replied. I never got out there Friday. We felt it wasn't enough time for an exploratory trip. I guess I'm just going to have to take a day and do some exploring. It's a long river, this may take a while haha.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:47 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ok Ok nobody wants a south jersey guy trouncing all over the Passaic I get it haha. One last thing. I guess Im going to start my efforts in the twin bridges area. Would you guys at least be able to tell me if this is accessible from land? Will I be able to walk along the river?(or maybe a town/park with access from land where i could walk along the river and fish) Or is it very woody and muddy. Since its so far I'm going to have to go straight from the river to work in the afternoon. I'd hate to get up there and not be able to fish because its knee deep mud.