NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

110 Rainbow trout in one night: - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-25-2012, 04:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb 110 Rainbow trout in one night:

http://roundvalleyfishing.com/2012/0...double-anchor/

Last edited by AndyS; 06-25-2012 at 05:35 PM..
Old 06-25-2012, 06:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: 110 Rainbow trout in one night:

Wow, I may have to give that a try. I've got two anchors maybe three if that will help. I just don't know if I can stayupall night.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

That's nuts I am in let's go
Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

sounds great...but im sure these guys are putting a real hurting on the rainbow population..i've heard plenty of stories of guys seeing a lot of belly up rainbows the morning after
Old 06-26-2012, 12:26 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs down Re: 110 Rainbow trout in one night:

Lets just say the eagles are fatter than ever...Been a problem fer the last couple years...Too many ppl doin it every nite....I stop doin it ALL together
when they die even after just cuttin the line asap...

Its almost upsetting that its getting even MORE advertising
Old 06-26-2012, 09:07 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Yes, it is sad. Trout in general, rainbows for sure are a cold water species. They thrive in water around 59 degrees. They have a pretty high mortality rate at temps above 75 degrees- this time of year, the surface temp at Round Valley is over 80 degrees. So while catching a ton of rainbows is fun- it really is putting a hurt on the overall population. At night, it seems as tho they swim off nice and healthy but you can't see them going belly up 20 yards from your boat. Plus most peopel don't know how to handle them properly to even attempt to put them back alive. While some nice keepers are caught when fishing and catching a ton at night, most are the stockies that the state puts in to get bigger and those, well, they are Eagle food.
(908) 236-9466
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Leban...99?ref=tn_tnmn
Old 06-26-2012, 10:55 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

This made me sick to my stomach to read. This is the one thing about trout fishing I've never liked. I was always taught you fish until you catch your limit, then you are done, regardless of if you keep them or let them go. Shame on the Hunterdon Anglers club for encouraging this type of fishing.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:40 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I don't know about this? Even though, I bet it's super fun, I think they should close down trout fishing in the summer due to the high temps.(at least in the lakes) But that's just me.

Last edited by ken jan; 06-26-2012 at 11:46 AM..
Old 06-26-2012, 12:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

We all like to catch fish but,,, We also know how fragile trout can be... Now I'm sure the fish were handled with care but do we know for sure that they all survived??

Here is an article from CT..

http://articles.courant.com/2006-09-...sion-fishermen

Here is one mortality report
Quote:
Now that we've covered the basics of preserving your catch for the dinner table, lets look at the proper etiquette for releasing fish. A recent study done at Queens University in Ontario, Canada which looked at physiological effects of brief air exposure in exhaustively exercised (played out) rainbow trout (oncorhynchus mykiss), is very revealing and educational toward showing just how precarious and detrimental, improper catch and releasing fishing can be. I will be the first to say that even as a professional fishing guide and well accomplished recreational sportfisherman, I did not know all the facts when it comes to releasing the quarry of my angling efforts.

I will attempt to share with you the most scientifically substantiated information I have seen on catch and release methods. The study looked at survival rates of played out rainbow trout that were also exposed to air for 60 seconds, 30 seconds, and 0 seconds. Additionally, the survival rates on non-exercised rainbow trout were used as a control for the study. Get ready, the results are surprising.

As you'd expect, the control group had a 100% survival rate. The rainbow trout that were exhaustively exercised and not exposed to air survived at an 88% rate. However, the rate of survival for fish exposed to air for 30 seconds was only 62%, and those that were held out of the water for 60 seconds had a mere 28% chance of living to fight another day. The researchers attributed the higher mortality among fish exposed to air to a significant reduction of oxygen content in the fish's blood.

If these statistics leave you wondering or unconvinced, consider the following analogy: Holding a fish out of the water for 60 seconds or even 30 seconds would be like a human running full speed for a half an hour and then immediately being submerged in water for up to one full minute. Many of us would not fare very well under those conditions and if we did survive, we'd surely carry some ill effects, some possibly permanent.

This study will change the pace of my Kodak moment and expedite the time it takes me to put my catch back into the water. Ideally, keeping the fish submerged in the water while you take pictures will help tremendously toward making sure the fish doesn't eventually go belly up.

Some other important methods for handling fish you intend to release include touching the fish as little as possible, not squeezing the fish, and never putting your fingers inside the fish's gills. The more you handle a fish and run your hand(s) along its sides, the more that fish is likely to be depleted of its protective slime layer, thus increasing its risk of fungal infection and decreasing its ability to gracefully cut through the water. See also the article on how to release fish.

I like to run my hand along the leader to the fish's mouth and grasp the hook firmly until I can pinch it with a pair of pliers, using the weight of the fish to pull it loose. A lot of times (unless the hook is in an awkward position) I don't even touch the fish at all. When you hold a fish by squeezing it in the palm of your hand, you are not only removing its protective slime, but also possibly injuring its internal organs.

Equally important and potentially life-threatening to the fish is putting your finger(s) in their gills. A fish's gills are among their most fragile and crucial organs. Evolution has provided them protective gill plates to prevent anything from entering or piercing this fragile area. But unknowing anglers will routinely use this gill plate to hold their catch and although this is fine when you intend to keep the fish, it's a bad deal if a release is planned.

Find the Round Valley Trout Association on Facebook.

Last edited by Polelock; 06-26-2012 at 12:39 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 12:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Reminds me of the striper reports this Spring...... It's "funny" how some things/reports you see can turn you off to fishing, even when you love to fish.

When sport is removed from the equation and fishing just becomes a numbers game, it is not enjoyable to me or fair to the fish as far as I am concerned.

I agree with Almaink

Leif