NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Passaic River Help!!! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-07-2012, 11:09 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Passaic River Help!!!

Looking to hit up the Passaic River in New Providence. Not looking for anyones honey holes, I'll find my own but I really need a little assistance in finding a decent access point. I've used Bing Maps, Google and Zillow but I really can't tell where I can gain the access without parking in someones drive way.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Passaic River Help!!!

Your best bet would probably parking in the Passaic River Park in Berkeley Heights and walking the shoreline there. I did it once last summer, got the skunk but lots of fishy spots.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 06-07-2012, 11:38 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I'm in Berkeley Heights. A spot that gets fished a lot is in Chatham off of river road. You can't miss it as there's a little park there and a bridge that goes over the river. There's a small water falls there that gets fished a lot, I've caught some nice Smallmouths there and that section gets stocked with Trout.

A few days ago I saw some HUGE Carp right under the falls. Above the falls and up into the New Providence and Berkeley Heights area I've only caught Carp but I talked to someone else who's been catching Pike up this far.

Also, in Berkeley Heighs where Snyder turns into Bridge Ave, there's access there and trails that go along the river, well the trail goes downstream. You can walk up stream but it's like a jungle and full of ticks, but there's a few good spots, but again I've only caught Carp in this area. But at the falls in Chatham the variety, for me, has been better.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:21 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Found some river access in Gillete on someones private property. Very nice gentleman has given me access whenever I want. Spent a few hours tossing a variety of lures with no luck. I saw some huge carp launching themselves out of the water so decided instead of getting skunked I'd try my luck with some corn. Caught two lunkers, one had to be 18 lbs and fought like a mule but ended up breaking my pole about two feet from shore. The second, around 12 lbs was landed. All and all a great Saturday morning. Will definatly hit it up again, just wish I knew what else was swimming in that stretch of water.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

just got home from the river in Gillette, carp were cruising in packs like german uboats. been fishing the river around new providence for 40 years. corn for carp, worms for cats at night. have gotten LMB, trout, and even saw an enormous chain pickerel once.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

sent u a pm as well regarding spots.