NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Back at the Valley.... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-02-2012, 10:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Back at the Valley....

I haven't posted in awhile but have gotten out trying to fill my bass fix. Went out to the Swim lake at the Valley the weekend prior to Memorial Day and got the big skunk. I had to fish from a different spot as there was a layer of pond scum all along the causeway that ran 10 feet out from the bank.

Went out Saturday and Monday of Memorial Day weekend and got a 2 pounder each day. On Memorial Day a few hours after catching the one in the second picture I saw a big one not too far from me hanging out in some weeds and sight-fished him for 10 minutes before hooking into him. 2 jumps later my plastic worm rig was returned to sender.

Interesting thing was about 15 minutes later he returned, and I could see him chasing off the sunnies that swam nearby. I then made out a sandy bottom where weeds were cleared and realized it was a spawning bed and the bass was protecting it. First time I ever got to see a bed and that behavior, but it seems late for spawning? Not sure if this was post-spawn behavior,maybe someone better versed in bass bedding behavior/seasons can clarify but it was really cool.

The only sour note was when I was leaving the parking lot that Monday at 11 AM I saw a cop car with someone pulled over on the main road and I slowed down where I saw a half drank bottle of liquor on the roof of the car. I just don't understand people, that hour of the day and a lot of families with kids heading to the Valley for some R&R and someone ignorantly putting lives at risk.

Hoping to get out there early tomorrow before the salsa music starts thumping from the picnic area.