NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

2012 NJ Fluke Regs - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default 2012 NJ Fluke Regs

OK, I'm confused here. Somebody please help explain this to me. I see on the NJ Saltwater Fish Regs for 2012 under Summer Flounder(Fluke), May 5th to Sept. 28th, % fish @ 17.5". Ok, then I see a little note under the size limits: See note: Fed Regs. So I click on that link, scroll down to Summer Flounder and see EEZ Zone, 8 fish @ 18.5". Totally confused here, or is it me. I know what the EEz zone is but am I reading this correctly??????????????
Old 03-07-2012, 05:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: 2012 NJ Fluke Regs

Good question ! This is a new one on me. Not all fluking goes on in state waters but most are landed on the dock which is in state waters. So I'd say I better only have 5 in my cooler
Old 03-07-2012, 05:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

or if you're in the EEZ - all your fish better be 18.5" or better.

How was this a good option for us?
Old 03-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Pretty sure that is telling you that you that while in the EEZ you can't catch or even possess more then 8 fish which must measure at least 18.5 inches.

So if you intend to fish inshore and stay inshore you can have 5 17.5 inch fish.

If you were to take those 17.5 fish into the EEZ, even though you did not catch them there, you would be in violation for having short fish.

Or lets say you start your trip in the EEZ and you keep 8 fish at 18.5 inches. Nice, you beat the system, right?

Wrong .....Unless you plan on staying in the EEZ forever your eventually going to have to travel back in to state waters and as soon as you enter state waters you'd be violation for keeping 3 more fish than allowed.

Bottom line is your never going to be able to have more then 5 fish per person here in NJ even if you did catch them in the EEZ.

Kind of confusing, right?

Now lets add NY into the mix that has yet another set of regulations.

Oh man, now my head hurts... Time for a cocktail

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 03-07-2012 at 06:10 PM..
Old 03-07-2012, 06:09 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

This should clear the air on this, the last sentence is the one that would answer your question...

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...2a18460618d;rg n=div5;view=text;node=50%3A10.0.1.1.6;idno=50;cc=e cfr#50:10.0.1.1.6.7.1.5

648.107 Conservation equivalent measures for the summer flounder party/charter and recreational fishery.

top (a) The Regional Administrator has determined that the recreational fishing measures proposed to be implemented by Massachusetts through North Carolina for 2011 are the conservation equivalent of the recreational fishing season, minimum fish size, and possession limit prescribed in §§648.104(b), 648.105, and 648.106(a), respectively. This determination is based on a recommendation from the Summer Flounder Board of the ASMFC.
(1) Federally permitted party and charter vessels subject to the recreational fishing measures of this part, and other recreational fishing vessels harvesting summer flounder in or from the EEZ and subject to the recreational fishing measures of this part, landing summer flounder in a state whose fishery management measures are determined by the Regional Administrator to be conservation equivalent shall not be subject to the more restrictive Federal measures, pursuant to the provisions of §648.4(b). Those vessels shall be subject to the recreational fishing measures implemented by the state in which they land.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Last sentenance says it all. That clears it up. Thank You. Time for a cocktail.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Good find Joe. So no matter what the EEZ rules we can only keep 5 fish at 17.5 inches

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-07-2012, 06:32 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Yes sir, that's how I see it for us Jersey guys Gerry.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Thanks Joe. That certainly does simplify things.

I think I'm still going to have that cocktail any way

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-07-2012, 06:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo Joe
This should clear the air on this, the last sentence is the one that would answer your question...

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...2a18460618d;rg n=div5;view=text;node=50%3A10.0.1.1.6;idno=50;cc=e cfr#50:10.0.1.1.6.7.1.5

648.107 Conservation equivalent measures for the summer flounder party/charter and recreational fishery.

top (a) The Regional Administrator has determined that the recreational fishing measures proposed to be implemented by Massachusetts through North Carolina for 2011 are the conservation equivalent of the recreational fishing season, minimum fish size, and possession limit prescribed in §§648.104(b), 648.105, and 648.106(a), respectively. This determination is based on a recommendation from the Summer Flounder Board of the ASMFC.
(1) Federally permitted party and charter vessels subject to the recreational fishing measures of this part, and other recreational fishing vessels harvesting summer flounder in or from the EEZ and subject to the recreational fishing measures of this part, landing summer flounder in a state whose fishery management measures are determined by the Regional Administrator to be conservation equivalent shall not be subject to the more restrictive Federal measures, pursuant to the provisions of §648.4(b). Those vessels shall be subject to the recreational fishing measures implemented by the state in which they land.
Time to put a grill on the boats to cook up some fish sandwiches/dinners while in the EEZ and in between "landing at the state"
Supporter and Member of RFA/NJ
IGFA Member
www.sharkbite-bucktails.com