NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Merrill Creek/Assunpink/Turnmill Pond 9/25 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-25-2011, 09:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Merrill Creek/Assunpink/Turnmill Pond 9/25

Hit Merrill Creek this morning. We got on the water at 6:30 am. The water temp was 68 according to the board. We had slow fishing for the first 2 hours then it completely died . We got off the lake at 11:00 am. I had 3 largemouths on a Senko and my dad had 2 bass(one largemouth and one smallmouth) and 1 sunfish on a shad rap. Big fish was a 2lb. largemouth. The fish all felt cold. Saw a few swirls out deep early this morning but that was it. Defintely agree with Andy that the rain turned the fishing off. However, I did get reports at the dock of excellant laker fishing, with some getting up to 15 lakers. We then decided that Assunpink would be our next choice.

After the 75 mile ride to Assupink , we reloaded the boat and got on the water at 2:00 pm. A tournament was getting off the lake, I wonder how they did? We headed up to the "hump" and worked that area and the rest of the shoreline up to the front of the lake. Good bite for the first hour then it again died completely. We got off the lake at 4:00 pm. We caught 10 bass,crappie and sunfish. We then decided we would go to our last plan which would be Turnmill.

We got on Turnmill at 5:00 pm. As always, the 3rd lake's the charm . We had very good fishing for the entire time we were there. We got off the lake at 7:00 pm. We had 19 bass, pickeral, and yellow perch. Senkos were the ticket here. It was a relief to bail the day out at the end.

3 lakes, 8 1/2 hours, and 188 miles for 35 fish. Overall, it was a very long and tiring day of fishing. It felt so good to have that good bite at the end of the day. Rain defintely messed up the fishing, water was cold at Assunpink too. Only reasons Turnmill was good was because the water was warmer and all those fish were stocked there. Heading back there tommorow afternoon hoping for a repeat.

Last edited by AJFISH13; 09-26-2011 at 08:54 PM..
Old 09-25-2011, 11:32 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Merrill Creek/Assunpink/Turnmill Pond 9/25

I was in the tournament at Assunpink. Winner had 5 fish for 10+ pounds. Slow day, every fish weighed in was between 2.4-2.8 pounds. We caught 2 for 5+ lbs and that was good enough for 4th place.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhi
I was in the tournament at Assunpink. Winner had 5 fish for 10+ pounds. Slow day, every fish weighed in was between 2.4-2.8 pounds. We caught 2 for 5+ lbs and that was good enough for 4th place.
That would seem like a normal result out of there. Assunpink has fish that make a 15" limit a good choice but due to extreme pressure, the larger fish seem to usually be wary.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Merrill Creek/Assunpink/Turnmill Pond 9/25

Lose the plastic ! Fish don't grow big eating plastic and metal, come over to the dark side !!

Crayfish
Shiners
Tadpoles
Nightcrawlers
Herring
Creekchubs
Sunish
Salamanders
Hellgramites
Old 09-26-2011, 04:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS
Lose the plastic ! Fish don't grow big eating plastic and metal, come over to the dark side !!

Crayfish
Shiners
Tadpoles
Nightcrawlers
Herring
Creekchubs
Sunish
Salamanders
Hellgramites

+1
Old 09-26-2011, 08:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Im probaly the last guy your gonna get to join the live bait brigade . I'll put in the extra effort to catch less big fish on artificials. That's just how I am, there's a seat for every fanny when it comes to fishing.