NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Shore recon 8/5 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-06-2011, 05:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Shore recon 8/5

Did some recon the other day on Lebanon Lake. Read an article in the NJ Angler magazine(you know, the one that went out of business ) from last year. It mentioned Lebanon Lake as a good place to fish for pickeral, I figured we should check it out. On the way, we fished the 2 Country Lake spillways. We fished there from 6:00pm to 6:30 pm, giving each spot 10-15 minutes each. Both places looked like the Amazon. A few swirls but no takers. We hit Lebanon Lake next. Some shore access and what we wanted to find, a boat ramp. A few visicious swirls on both the rapala and a heddon torpedo that were complete misses. We fished there from 6:45 pm to 8:00 pm hitting several spots. Overall, we had around 6-7 misses but no takers which is tough even by pickeral standards. However, we accomplished our mission, finding Lebanon Lake and that it had a boat ramp.Plan on fishing there one of these days, been a long time since we took the boat out looking exclusively for toothy critters. Overall, it wasn't a bad way to spend the evening.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Shore recon 8/5

Is Lebanon the one with all the standing timber or without, as both are across Rt 70 from one another? If it was the one without, it was just refilled last year and might not have that many fish yet. The one with the timber never emptied and had plenty of fish.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tautog
Is Lebanon the one with all the standing timber or without, as both are across Rt 70 from one another? If it was the one without, it was just refilled last year and might not have that many fish yet. The one with the timber never emptied and had plenty of fish.
This is the one with the standing timber. Defintely a pickeral only kind of lake. Hope there's some monsters in there. It can get over 8 ft. deep near the damn and has plenty of structure.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Was one of my go to spots. Never caught any real big ones though. Biggest I remember was maybe 23" and skinny below the damn. Mostly just the same 15"-18" as everywhere. The two ponds below the damn used to be really good for numbers but they were high and dry 2 1/2 yrs ago so who knows now, probably mostly lil ones. Also try Pine Lake in Manchester if you want to fish pickerel, no ramp, but lots of close access to drag a small boat, plus a few really dark Piney bass in there. There is also a nice bog pond just west of Rt 73 on 70 that is only visible from the road in winter that has lots of small and medium pickerel. Didn't see it on my last trip that way but it must still be there.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Problem with pickerel fishing a place like Lebanon is that it has fishing pressure and not just from shore. I usually see one boat in there every time I go. A place like Pine Lake, I have never seen a boat, just kids at the spillway. Makes for happier pickerel.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Problem with pickerel fishing a place like Lebanon is that it has fishing pressure and not just from shore. I usually see one boat in there every time I go. A place like Pine Lake, I have never seen a boat, just kids at the spillway. Makes for happier pickerel.
I think me and my dad have passed it before. We'll check it out too. The only lake I ever took the boat too looking strictly for pickeral was Oswego lake, nothing bigger than 22-23" in there and a lot of teeny ones like 9-10". Best day was maybe 40 between the 2 of us using minnows and rapalas. Have had some decent days from the shore there too.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Pine Lake has a lot of weeds in the back and a nice feeder creek. Also an island near the front along with deeper water by the dam. Is an excellent lake to fish after a late winter/early spring warm front. Back of the cove just north of the beach is shallow and dark bottomed and from 1pm until dusk waves of fish will come in there to warm up and eat.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Pine Lake has a lot of weeds in the back and a nice feeder creek. Also an island near the front along with deeper water by the dam. Is an excellent lake to fish after a late winter/early spring warm front. Back of the cove just north of the beach is shallow and dark bottomed and from 1pm until dusk waves of fish will come in there to warm up and eat.
Defintely will look into it as a January thru March spot. Thanks for all the info, gonna put it to good use!

Last edited by AJFISH13; 08-06-2011 at 06:35 PM..
Old 08-08-2011, 12:36 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

used to hit lebanon and presidential alot on our way back from lbi live killies resulted in tons of pickerel and ginormobig snappers like freaking scary and this was ll from shore right off of 70 but was at least 15 years ago God i'm old

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 08-08-2011, 09:29 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurr711
used to hit lebanon and presidential alot on our way back from lbi live killies resulted in tons of pickerel and ginormobig snappers like freaking scary and this was ll from shore right off of 70 but was at least 15 years ago God i'm old
Been a LONG TIME since I brought live killies for pickeral fishing. One of these days I'll give it another shot, probaly in the fall when they get more active.