NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Safety question? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-15-2011, 09:35 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Safety question?

Hey guys,

I do a lot of shore fishing, and I tend to go at night because of work, and I seem to have better luck twilight. I got pretty spooked last night when I thought I heard a bear, and last week I was visually stalked by a red fox in the same area. (Saw the red fox watching me, I would walk, it would walk in same direction, I would stop, it would stop and look at me).

My question is, when you shore fish, do you carry a knife or anything with you for protection? I suppose it's a dumb question, but I felt a little naked in the outdoors when I only had my line cutting nail clippers.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Old Soft Salt

Default Re: Safety question?

Pepper Spray?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:49 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Used to carry a bat at the Old Wharf before Cat Man Do F%$#d it all up . A Fox will follow you if it has a den near by . They also have learned to steal food/bait from Fishermen . If you make enough noise when moving along trails/shoreline most critters will give you a wide berth . Had Deer come down to the water while I was wading before .
Old 07-15-2011, 09:51 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That fox was looking for a hand out for sure. I'm with ya on that bear thing though. I live in Bridgewater and they have been seen here a lot lately. They just had one treed in downtown Raritan yesterday.

I say bring a slower buddy with you!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Safety question?

I had the same experience with a fox late at night surf fishing in Bay Head.
He wanted in on my bucket of eels. I would go toward him he would walk away, I stop, he stops, played cat and mouse for a while. I keep a whistle in my freshwater vest.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the input. Definitely think it's an overlooked aspect that should be kept in mind. A large knife might be too much, but who knows. Glad to know that I wasn't the first to experience the fox thing either. While it was cool, and unbelievably silent, it was a bit nerve wracking.

-Dave
Old 07-15-2011, 07:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

i ALWAYS carry a pocket knife with me...easy to open fast... (whether im working in newark...lol... or fishing wherever) i know a pocket knife is nothing against a bear but at least ill go down trying...have a steak knife as well in my tackle
Old 07-15-2011, 08:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I don't know if your a betting man, but if you are worried about bears as red fox pose no threat to you. I would consider pepper spray over a knife with out any hesitation, unless you are a Ninja.

I guess this is a Lower Hudson Valley issue in NY but I was suprised nobody fears the Coyotee or "coy-dogs". Those mf's are in the area of the PO by Sloatsburg.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAB95
I don't know if your a betting man, but if you are worried about bears as red fox pose no threat to you. I would consider pepper spray over a knife with out any hesitation, unless you are a Ninja.

I guess this is a Lower Hudson Valley issue in NY but I was suprised nobody fears the Coyotee or "coy-dogs". Those mf's are in the area of the PO by Sloatsburg.
im a ninja angler...ok, j/k id prolly run screaming and get mauled lol
Old 07-16-2011, 03:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAB95
We've got coyotes "down" here in Morris County and I have seen them in Passaic County too