NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

R/V first timer - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-27-2011, 06:55 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default R/V first timer

Well guys I decided to finally head out to round valley. The place is absolutely amazing. I only happened upon a rock bass but I still had a great time. I do however feel this is a much harder place to fish due to the clear water. If anyone has advice on lures, set-ups and what nots for R/V I would gladly like to learn. I will be shore fishing as I am still saving for a kayak but both advice for shore fishing and boat fishing will be great.
Thanks a lot.

Keep on keeping on!
-Cliffy
Old 05-27-2011, 08:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: R/V first timer

From shore if you're fishing for bass then finesse is the way to go. I've had the most success with senkos rigged wacky style. Shaky heads work pretty good as well, I use either P-Line with the fluorocarbon coating on my spin-gear and fluorocarbon on my baitcasters. Spinnerbaits and lipless crankbaits have yielded zero bites for me on a lot of hours of fishing.

For trout 4 LB test (also P-Line with the fluorocarbon coating) on small lures work best. I've had most of my success on a 1/16 oz jighead with a 2" grub on it in watermelon green but inline spinners have worked pretty good too. I've been using some 2" swimbaits lately and have done OK on those. 3" senkos rigged wacky-style I've landed a number of rainbows on as well.

For bait you can use either shiners or herring on slip-bobbers and I've seen people have success on both trout and bass with those, but mainly shiners as they're easier to keep alive.

As of tomorrow the main park needs $$ to park through Labor Day. The boat ramp area is open 24/7 and surface lures work very well after sunset on bass.

I'm sure there are a lot of different approaches but I fish there exclusively from shore and from trial and error (mainly the latter) the above is what's worked best for me.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: R/V first timer

If your in a boat, WATCH the weather. That's the first thing I tell newcomers. It's a bowl and if the wind cranks up you get 2 to 4 ft. seas out there, not fun. There are big strobe lights on each tower, if the wind goes over (I think) 25 mph the lights come on and the lake is closed to boating till the lights go off. If you are on the lake and the lights come on, seek safe harbor.
I think fast moving lures and light line is the way to go.
Just remember there are lake trout pushing 30 lbs in there.
RVTA meetings are good also if you can attend, plenty of info.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:54 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: R/V first timer

Thank you so much for the responses. It is amazing that whats worked for you amazingly in one lake/pond may no work at all in another. You are completely right about having to trial and error and you guys games me some pretty good starters to go from.

Keep on keepin' on!
-Cliffy