NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Digital Antenna cell phone amplifier - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-07-2010, 11:06 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Digital Antenna cell phone amplifier

Does anyone have any experience with this device? They claim it will give you 30 - 50 mile offshore range? If so, should be a great safety item.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Digital Antenna cell phone amplifier

From what I understand, these devices coupled with a good attenna help a lot, but not sure about 50 miles... That seems a bit extreme to me although over the water it may be possible. Point in case while out on Romer Shoal we can't be more then 15 miles in line of site to a nuimber of Verizon cell towers both in NY and NJ, yet I can't get a signal out there most days.

I know one thing for sure, the amp you purchase must be compatable with the carrier your have your service with as carriers have different newtowrk techologies like GSM or TDMA.

Also, depending on which type of amp you get, it may need to be connected directly to your phone so it may need to be compatable with your phone as well, as far as the physical connection. I also remember reading about some that you don't have to connect directly to your phone. Your phone and it's internal attenna are actually taking to the amplifier and the amplifier talks to the cell tower.

Please let us know what you find out.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 04-07-2010 at 02:20 PM..
Old 04-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Site Sponsor

Have one connected to an 8 ft. antenna on top of my wheelhouse. Extends connectivity from out a couple of miles to maybe 15 miles on a good day.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:44 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Capt. Adam: Thanks for the info. Are you using the universal adapter cable or one designed specifically for your phone? According to their website, you can lose up to 50% efficiency with the universal cable.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski
From what I understand, these devices coupled with a good attenna help a lot, but not sure about 50 miles... That seems a bit extreme to me although over the water it may be possible. Point in case while out on Romer Shoal we can't be more then 15 miles in line of site to a nuimber of Verizon cell towers both in NY and NJ, yet I can't get a signal out there most days.

i always thought the crappy cell reception in that area was due to Earle