NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Ice fishing and Pond Hockey - a perfect combo? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-30-2017, 12:31 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Ice fishing and Pond Hockey - a perfect combo?

I have very little ice fishing experience (i.e. none) but I was out playing some pond hockey today at a local spot in Cranford (Union County) and got to thinking it could be a good was to pass the time between watching for tip up flags.

Do any of you ice fishing guys play (or used to play) hockey? Since hockey and fishing are pretty much my two favorite pastimes I thought it would be cool to combine the two. Granted I don’t know the logistics of ice fishing so maybe this just isn’t feasible but I would love to learn the basics of ice fishing from someone in the know so if anyone interested in a newbie tagging along and also maybe hitting a puck around let me know. I can supply a goal, pucks, and sticks (if you are lefty). I don’t have any tip-ups but I do have a ice fishing jigging rod (never used). Plenty of safe ice here in Union County so I would imagine the same is true at the ice fishing spots further north. Let me know if anyone is interested, I am free all day today (Sat 12-30). Otherwise I will be getting schooled by high school kids all day playing hockey on the back lake in Nomahegan.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:22 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Ice fishing and Pond Hockey - a perfect combo?

Love Hockey and fishing and actually had an accident on the ice weeks ago.. was playing with my buddies in an outdoor rink, forgot my mouthguard and of course, that's when I got whacked in the mouth and lost 3 front teeth... just got new teeth for Xmas last week.... Only $2100 to get them fixed hahahaha

LET'S GO RANGERS!!
Old 12-30-2017, 09:26 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

perhaps icefishing is a much safer option for you. you do not need mouth guards for icefishing. glad to see you got them fixed they look great, also loved the before and after shots no puns intended. have a happy and safer new year.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ha Ha, freakin awesome, yea, i play and coach, we go up to Oneida sometimes and the skates make covering distance a lot quicker, although it is like skating down a railroad track. After today i am off until Thursday, plan on getting out on the ice a few times, and also playing a mini tournament on New Years day......In an open air rink at 8am, going to be COOOLLLLDDDDD !!!!! And yes, WE ARE RANGER FANS, and i am the old and bald one.............LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	enhance (6).jpg
Views:	329
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	120266   Click image for larger version

Name:	enhance (8).jpg
Views:	326
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	120267  
Old 12-30-2017, 11:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Grew up in Roxbury and had some "sand pits" very close to my house. Spent countless hours thru the years skating and playing hockey and would once and a while chop a hole in the ice and jig a swedish pimple for larrys but never did both at the same time. Wasn't a tip up guy, liked to jig but then again that is all I knew at that time, great memories
Old 12-30-2017, 07:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Gotta love Hockey!!! Unreal injuries and some seriously tough people that play the sport! Big balls, LOL!!!

On another note, union county, NJ is pretty much the only county in this little state that kicks people off the ice for skating, ice fishing, etc., etc.! Be safe where you venture out bro! The law frowns on those that enjoy the outdoors around these parts! At least to me it’s always seemed that way!!! I’ve gotten kicked off safe ice in this area over 25 times that I can remember. Good luck!!!
Old 12-30-2017, 08:48 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewchief2 View Post
Ha Ha, freakin awesome, yea, i play and coach, we go up to Oneida sometimes and the skates make covering distance a lot quicker, although it is like skating down a railroad track. After today i am off until Thursday, plan on getting out on the ice a few times, and also playing a mini tournament on New Years day......In an open air rink at 8am, going to be COOOLLLLDDDDD !!!!! And yes, WE ARE RANGER FANS, and i am the old and bald one.............LOL
Looks like Bridgewater Sports Arena. Used to play there a long time ago.

GO RANGERS!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	120288  

Last edited by sbalewitz74; 12-30-2017 at 08:53 PM..
Old 01-01-2018, 01:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
Gotta love Hockey!!! Unreal injuries and some seriously tough people that play the sport! Big balls, LOL!!!

On another note, union county, NJ is pretty much the only county in this little state that kicks people off the ice for skating, ice fishing, etc., etc.! Be safe where you venture out bro! The law frowns on those that enjoy the outdoors around these parts! At least to me it’s always seemed that way!!! I’ve gotten kicked off safe ice in this area over 25 times that I can remember. Good luck!!!
You are right, the UC cops are pretty vigilant about kicking people off the ice at most county parks but in my experience their vigilance doesn’t extend any further than what they can see from the comfort of a heated cruiser. The mighty Rahway river though, at least in Cranford, is fair game when the ice is unquestionably safe like it was today. I managed to skate from the dam near Grays/North Union all the way up to the Nomahegan footbridge and lost count of the number of hockey pickup games I passed through on the way. It’s definitely days like Today that remind me why I choose to live a block away from a river known more for flooding than recreation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0C13054A-4245-4141-B1C8-B1DA87E22C12.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	120309   Click image for larger version

Name:	5F8F338A-4290-4299-8739-257A8913047F.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	120310   Click image for larger version

Name:	A97BD1E8-0BA9-42B0-93F7-3D10FC01A563.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	120311   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC2DE1C7-AD2B-4CFF-AF26-28D38E01A1C2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	120312  
Old 01-01-2018, 01:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitShot View Post
Love Hockey and fishing and actually had an accident on the ice weeks ago.. was playing with my buddies in an outdoor rink, forgot my mouthguard and of course, that's when I got whacked in the mouth and lost 3 front teeth... just got new teeth for Xmas last week.... Only $2100 to get them fixed hahahaha

LET'S GO RANGERS!!
I occasionally play at the Union County Sports Arena on 22 when they have open hockey. I Used to play with a helmet but no cage until I watched a guy take a slap shot straight to the face and get rushed to the emergency room...I think I screwed the cage back on my helmet that night and haven’t played without it since....no way I am going to risk loosing a couple teeth or an eye for a game where they don’t even keep score!
Old 01-02-2018, 06:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

yep two of my favorite things. hockey and fishing . although not ice fishing as I never tried it. just soft water fishing haven't played in a while now since wrecking my knee in a game years back. wouldn't mind playing again just so long as I can get up and go to work in the morning. im outta shape. I cant shave without pulling a muscle these days