NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Wawayanda Salmon Help - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-27-2016, 01:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Wawayanda Salmon Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struck24 View Post
Thanks for all the info! Definitely going to help me. Any idea on best time of day? I was planning on being there as they open at 8am
If you need to rent a boat like me, go at 8am. I didn't want to risk them not having one for me. I also didn't want to risk not getting into the park.

I rented for the entire day ($80) and was there for 5 hours. definitely got my moneys worth since I would have had to pay $150 if I did hourly.

I cannot give you much insight as to time of day really, I saw a kayaker pick one up about 9:30 in the front hole by the beach and then I started catching in the back hole around noon
Old 07-27-2016, 02:11 PM
NJFishing.com Member

For time of day, I've always found the solunar calendar periods best for trout and salmon, but focus early morning in the hot weather.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

So I just bought a manual downrigger in hopes of it helping me out in the search for these guys... My question is how much line in general should I let out behind the boat when sending the 4lb ball down to depth? I am using a 15ft leader. I figure if I let too much line out it will either go above or below the targeted depth wanted. Suggestions??
Old 07-30-2016, 10:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capspath83 View Post
I've never used lead core so I am not sure what that's all about. I was using a 30# braid with #2 Planer with a 15ft floro leader trolling at 2mph.

I also have a #3 planer that I didn't use that day. I may try it next time. But will definitely slow troll live herring.
Here is really good value for a trolling outfit. I was impressed with the quality for the price. Add some lead core line, use a floro leader and you are set. I think the common wisdom for lead core is that you are down 5 feet per color. But that will vary with your lure and trolling speed.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishi..._SEQ_104653080

Last edited by briansnat; 07-30-2016 at 10:59 PM..