NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Short Notice M-N-G! INVASIVE CATS 8/7??? - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-06-2016, 09:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Short Notice M-N-G! INVASIVE CATS 8/7???

Sounds like a good time. Can't make this one though. Be safe on that river ...especially if we get those thunderstorms they are predicting for tonight and that water comes up. I'll be thinking of ya while I'm having a cold one and eatin some BBQ...well maybe I won't be thinking of ya! Catch em up boys.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Short Notice M-N-G! INVASIVE CATS 8/7???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcritch View Post
Sounds like a good time. Can't make this one though. Be safe on that river ...especially if we get those thunderstorms they are predicting for tonight and that water comes up. I'll be thinking of ya while I'm having a cold one and eatin some BBQ...well maybe I won't be thinking of ya! Catch em up boys.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Save me something from the grill!
Old 08-06-2016, 05:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Can't make it since I have concert tickets tomorrow night.

But I figured I would add some advice. You abesoultly can catch flatheads on light gear, happens all the time with bass and walleye anglers hook up on the flatheads. But to do it consistently especially when fishing from the bank you need to beef up the gear. All my set ups have 65-80lb braid with 50lb shock leaders and still have had cats break me off. You gotta remember these flatheads live in structure. Log jams and Boulder fields especially with cavities that they can get under is where they live. Guess where they head after the eat a bait? That's right right back Into the nastiest stuff they can find. Don't under estimate the power of these fish. I prefer 8/0 circle hooks and 3oz no roll weights.
Instagram @bloody_decks_bowfishing
Facebook - team bloody decks
Old 08-06-2016, 06:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawareriver View Post
Can't make it since I have concert tickets tomorrow night.

But I figured I would add some advice. You abesoultly can catch flatheads on light gear, happens all the time with bass and walleye anglers hook up on the flatheads. But to do it consistently especially when fishing from the bank you need to beef up the gear. All my set ups have 65-80lb braid with 50lb shock leaders and still have had cats break me off. You gotta remember these flatheads live in structure. Log jams and Boulder fields especially with cavities that they can get under is where they live. Guess where they head after the eat a bait? That's right right back Into the nastiest stuff they can find. Don't under estimate the power of these fish. I prefer 8/0 circle hooks and 3oz no roll weights.
I absolutely hate when you launch a bait out there and they take it, start swimming right back at you and hide with the bait under a jagged rock! Haven't been snapped off yet but did have some close calls! They're smart invasive bastards for sure! The paddle tail they have helps them move quickly, not like an channels forked tail! Very fast fish that can run 100's of yards without swallowing the bait! Good stuff Lou!!!!
Old 08-07-2016, 01:24 PM
dakota560

Good luck to everyone joining FE tonight! From the sounds of it the flat heads are going to have a feast to choose from. Eddie you're a good man for making the offer to everyone on the site. Good spots are hard to come by and harder to find, sharing that information is a generous gesture and representative of the kind of guy you are. I hope everyone appreciates your gesture as you don't often see things like that happen in our beloved sport. Looking forward to the reports from the rock, hope to see many smiling faces, personal bests and pictures of nice flat heads. For those joining Eddie, welcome to the cult! Your life will never be the same! Before you know it you'll be doing the same voodoo dance Chrisper did! Good luck guys, give em' hell, looks like you have a great night weather wise. I posted the attached pictures in the salt water forum but just wanted to get guys fishing tonight's adrenaline going to catch the big one. My son got caught this yesterday while we were fishing in a fluke tournament. Black drum, fought like a monster flat head. A few pictures and successfully released for someone else to experience a surprise of a lifetime! Hope someone gets one this big tonight! Good luck guys.....look forward to the reports.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drum 1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	101574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drum 2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	101575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drum 3.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	101576  
Old 08-08-2016, 09:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Wish I could have made it last night. Hope you guys had a blast!
Old 08-08-2016, 10:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hmmmmm...10AM and still no report?????? I am envisioning a pile of NJfishing.com'rs regaining consciousness among 100's of empty beer cans on the banks of the Big D and a raccoon running away with the left over dead sunfish in Eddie's bait bucket

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 08-08-2016, 11:03 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hahaa fun time last night. I got 2, Eddie got 2, and bigboy got 3. And jigman got a decent sized channel cat. Many run offs and missed hook set. I'll post some pictures later. All the fish were in the 5-8lb range. No big ones on this trip but a fun time all around.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:22 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Short Notice M-N-G! INVASIVE CATS 8/7???

Quote:
Originally Posted by njflyfisher View Post
Hahaa fun time last night. I got 2, Eddie got 2, and bigboy got 3. And jigman got a decent sized channel cat. Many run offs and missed hook set. I'll post some pictures later. All the fish were in the 5-8lb range. No big ones on this trip but a fun time all around.
This is good news! Sounds like they started going nuts after I left! Glad everyone connected with a fish! That's AWESOME!!!