NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trout Bait Old School - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-03-2020, 10:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Trout Bait Old School

I dug swamp worms this year for the first time in more than 60 years. Applied for 7 NJ Skillful Angler Catch and Release Recognition Awards for bullheads that I caught on worms since March 12. Weed worms are the best bait. I don’t fish for trout. Fishing was very slow lately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3376E2E0-15B0-470A-8CCC-FEBAB6A20E28.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	140510  
Old 04-04-2020, 07:31 AM
Site Sponsor

Hahah !!! The good ole days! Diggin in the garden lookin for worms getting yelled at by my mom😂 I remember us coming across a big night crawler and you would get all pumped up! Many worms went through the washer machine back in the day that’s all I’m saying 🤣 GOOD TIMES!
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 04-04-2020, 07:32 AM
Site Sponsor

And just to throw this out there guys we have a cooler at the shop with bait, for those who need it...
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 04-06-2020, 12:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfish715 View Post
He used to keep worm boxes in the garage. My grandfather had two, one with soil and coffee grounds, the other had ground news paper, topsoil and oatmeal. The oatmeal box, the worms would take on a light tan to grey color, a highly effective bait! I wonder how many people still have and use worm boxes?

Now there is a trip down memory lane! Thanks EJS! An old wooden produce box from the local grocery store, a mixture of coffee grounds, garden soil, layers of wet newspaper in between and some some organic material was all you needed. Add worms and, voila! You kept the box in a cool place like the basement or detached garage. There were worms at your ready disposal any time you wanted them. When the supply dwindled, you grabbed a flashlight and went out for more. As long as the soil in the box was damp and cool, you could fish everyday.

How about buss bedding? Who remembers that and the boxes in which it was stored. I think it was gypsum or something like it. It was great for crawlers but not for garden worms.
When I was really young 4-5 years old, I remember he had worm boxes made using hard Esbestos on a wood frame. Later, he bought two Oberlin worm boxes. I can still picture the label on them.

He had this round worm holder that you wore on a belt. It would rotate/spin out of the frame to get to the worms.

Knowing what I know now, I wish I would asked for them when he passed away.