NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Rockaway River in Montville - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-27-2019, 10:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Rockaway River in Montville

Hey guys I just bought a house in the fall. The Rockaway river is about a 1/2 mile from my house behind my backyard. It is in Montville by city hall. Anyone ever fish this area? The river is shallow in the summer but deep at the moment. Was wondering if anyone has anything info of pike and bass making it there from the Passaic leading into it.

Last edited by antgogz; 03-07-2021 at 06:54 PM..
Old 03-27-2019, 10:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Rockaway River in Montville

I have kayaked that river, from where it starts in Boonton, near the Knoll Golf Course, and down river to Fairfield, many times over the past 15 years. Right now it is way too high and fast to fish and there are so many trees across the river to kayak. In the summer when it is low and slow enough.....find the deep holes and you will find a few species. I haven't caught any pike up that far, but always enough of small bass and sunnies to kill an hour or two if you want to get out. If you are into carp fishing....the deep holes hold quite a few all along the river.

Danny V
Old 03-28-2019, 08:41 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I used to fish in that general area when I lived in Hiawatha. I did pull several smaller northern pikes in the 18-24” range from this stretch. One day I stopped by one of my usual spots and there was a guy fishing with 6 pike mike in a stringer (smh). Pike hasn’t been same, I suspect this pos fished out the few pools I new for table fair. Small mouth are decent in summer in this area in pools.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:47 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the info guys. I plan on going down there with a small spinner and just messing around since it is right behind my house. It would be cool if small pike made it back there. You never know what the high river waters can bring in the rockaway and passaic rivers!
Old 04-02-2019, 01:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I used to fish the section downstream from where you are, by where it flows under 46, and downstream from there. There are a lot of small snot-rockety type fish under that bridge, along with some decent bass.
I liked small senkos and small spinners and occasionally a little frog for good action.
Exploring and finding hidden gems is the biggest part of the fun so definitely go for a walk and see what you find.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Had good luck with smallies over by the ball fields. Medium size rapalas in the deeper holes and channels.