NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

South Branch - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-13-2018, 07:36 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default South Branch

So I have gone to Hacklebarney twice now and walked 100 miles for zippo, I am going to try the South Branch on Sat. Where is the best place to park and get the show on the road?
Old 04-13-2018, 09:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: South Branch

Well there goes my plans of going to hacklebarney tomorrow lol. Guess I'm going to the north branch. I always do good there. South branch I typically do best in the Clinton area. Haven't been there in years so I forget the name of the road.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiPaoro View Post
So I have gone to Hacklebarney twice now and walked 100 miles for zippo, I am going to try the South Branch on Sat. Where is the best place to park and get the show on the road?
So I'm not gonna just say "go here" cause guys will lump my ass for "blowin up" a "secret spot". But...Google Maps...follow the south branch...find the crossings...zoom in...parking yes?...then click the map close by to get and address...plug in GPS...follow it and have a great day discovering new waters. The SB is stocked well and has a lot of good water. Tons of places that you can cover in a day just driving spot to spot. Don't just walk in two steps and start casting like everyone else does but walk up or down a bit and check it out. I would also say...try for smallies in those spots too cause they are there dude. Everyone is all hopped up on those stockies but hook into a 2lb small mouth on that lite tackle and it's a blast. Good luck and have a great day...and post up what you find.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: South Branch

The roads follow the South Branch for just about the entire length. No shortage of spots from Clinton falls down.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Follow the river from Long Valley to Hoffman's Crossing and then from High Bridge to Clinton and beyond. The personality of the river changes as you go farther west and south. You'll have to find what type stream features you like to fish.......small pocket water or wider slower stretches. Good luck finding a place to yourself in the upper stretches above Clinton. The river is down ( before this rain) so the popular deeper holes usually have someone in them. Those stocking points don't allow too many fishermen in them at one time so don't be a jerk and wade right in next to someone. Give them a break and wait or move on. There are spots away from the crowded riffles that hold trout. You just have to explore and find them.