NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Assunpink Carp - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-16-2017, 09:42 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Assunpink Carp

Been a long time since i have posted been real busy with work and family events and have fished maybe 7 times his year.

After my last 2 times out breaking off decent size fish (catfish/carp) with my , I don't remember how long its been on the reel 10# test mono snapping, with the last one teh fish almost pulling my rod into the water before the break, i decided it was time to upgrade to some baitrunner reels (okuma avenger abf-30B)_ and some new 20# power pro, with each reel adjusted to 6# on teh drag, i went back to the site of the last break off.

after catching a pair of 7-10# snapping turtles I had a carp take my one rod while i was re-baiting another - the fish ran under the overhanging brush on the far bank before i could get the rod up and as I started to coax it out, my 30 year old rod snapped - i still managed to get the fish on the bank - it was about 20" and i was too flustered to pull out the scale or tape measure.

i finished re-baiting the other rod and packed up the broken gear and as soon as I finished the alarm on that rod went off. This time i got the scale out, however, as i tried to get the fish situated for the scale i dropped him back into the water. It was bigger than the first, and am bummed i didn't get a weight as I have caught quite a few carp now in the 20-24" range and have no idea what they weigh.

With things settling down at work, i am hoping to get out more and am investigating tandem fishing kayaks - that i can take my 2 kids that fish out with me or go solo in, right now the vibe skipjack is the leading candidate.