NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

First Post - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-12-2016, 11:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: First Post

try jigs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a20792a13071e0e3181368_m__08247_1412184767_1280_1280.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	94594  
Old 04-13-2016, 02:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: First Post

You also have to factor in the amount of pressure being put on the fish. This will die out in three weeks. They get spooked from all the disturbance. Plus add rising water temperatures coming and you will start to score more often. Good luck!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:17 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks again for all of the advice. I'll be heading out to the waters again in the next few days. Will update soon, hopefully with some pics.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Salmon eggs usually work on these rainbows, though we have some really low & clear water now, and perhaps fishing before sunrise is the ticket. Sometimes butter worms out-fish eggs, but if you really scale down, the lightest rod you can find--mine is 3 1/2 feet--with two-pound test and #14 baitholder hook for the egg...you can use two leaders, two eggs for better casting distance...no weight besides a #14 snap, maybe a few swivels cut from snaps added to the snap if there's enough current & depth...usually a split shot is too much weight...you want to get the natural drift and usually a rainbow will take an egg. Then you have to get the hook set. That can be very tricky. They steal eggs better than sheepshead steal sand fleas. But often the same trout will take another egg presented....it's fun.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:34 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks Bruce. I actually picked up some salmon eggs before reading your reply. Actually caught a few small rainbows on the Pohatcong creek yesterday using them.
Another question for you guys. Is trout fishing etiquette any different because there are only so many holes and prime spots? I've had guys literally sit down next to me when I'm at a spot. I've left my gear in a spot to go toss out some trash, and a guys jump in my spot, standing over my stuff. Crazy.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:18 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas160 View Post
Thanks Bruce. I actually picked up some salmon eggs before reading your reply. Actually caught a few small rainbows on the Pohatcong creek yesterday using them.
Another question for you guys. Is trout fishing etiquette any different because there are only so many holes and prime spots? I've had guys literally sit down next to me when I'm at a spot. I've left my gear in a spot to go toss out some trash, and a guys jump in my spot, standing over my stuff. Crazy.
People will muscle in on you if they see you catching. Jumping in your spot while u took a break is bs. Give it another couple weeks and you will have the place to yourself.