NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Ice bibs -- what's your recommemdation? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-04-2015, 06:57 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Ice bibs -- what's your recommemdation?

I also have the artic armor and I love them what I found out is that they are a lot lighter thank the other suits I have not compared them to the striker suit but def a lot lighter than ice armor and the AA is very warm a lot of days unzipped and with out jacket when it's 25 degrees
Old 12-04-2015, 01:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I had 3 full suits and Im down to 2 sets. The blue clam suit was my first setup and Ive sold it because I didnt like it, it is just an outer layer of waterproofing, no insulation and no breathing, I was either cold or sweaty and clammy. I have the frablill grey suit, and I used that the last 3 years as my main set. Its got some insulation and is super dry, you can sit in water and you dont get wet, you have to layer underneath it. Last summer I got a frabill snosuit, its the warmest suit made w the most insulation, has flotation, and its almost too warm. I just wear jeans underneath the bibs and a baselayer and hoodie and im usually good unless its rly cold out, Ive never had the jacket zipped up yet. I fish alot in a shanty so I usually wear the grey suit, but if Im outside all day watching tipups and its cold I goto the snosuit. Personally I dont care for all the hype w the float suits, none of them are coast guard rated and if you read and watch the videos you have to be laying flat for the most effect. If you fall thru a hole and you are upright theres almost no flotation effect, thats where you need picks and you should NEVER go out on the ice without them. People laugh at me when I was on 18" plus and I had my picks on, but Ive see people make livewells or drill multiple holes and you cant tell theres skim ice when not paying attention. If you are on a budget look on ebay theres lots of leftover suits and lightly used for cheap, I know the frabills run true to size. I have large bibs and large jacket and have plenty of room, I could prob get away w a medium. Im 6'0" 175lb for a reference
Old 12-04-2015, 11:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I use layers of under armor and two polar thermal things and walls overalls outer. They used to be water proof, now they are water resistant haha. Doesn't matter only time I get a little cold is when it's brutally windy and like 15 and under and no one else is fishing anyway! Wear a life vest if you really want to float.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 12-05-2015, 07:15 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

i have the artic armor. you will never be cold in NJ with this on.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:01 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Lately I've been using a pair of old snowboard/ski shell pants. Because they are just a shell I can add or remove under layers as need.

Before that I would buy cheap ski bibs. You can find them online and they are warm and inexpensive (often well under $100). Some are already water repellent and some you can treat wit Nikwax wash to make them water repellent