NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Sussex County (Sparta) Fishing - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-17-2014, 01:35 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Sussex County (Sparta) Fishing

Hey Everyone!

This is my first post and would like to thank the admins for allowing me into the board. Also, I do apologize was this is a broad topic, and I am not sure if this has been brought up before. I am somewhat new to fishing, so please dont be too harsh!

I do have a few questions for everyone out there.

1- Where is the best place to shore fish in the Sparta area? I've fished Mohawk, White Lake (Sparta), Little Swartswood will all decent results (up to 2.5 lbs, largemouth, and a bunch of sunnies). Is there anywhere you guys recommend for a relaxing (decent) fishing afternoon drive?

2- I just bought a Jon Boat. Besides WMA's, is there anywhere I can use it? It's car-top launch.

3- I know this is broad, but what type of lures should I use for different fish (this time of year)? I love to catch a largemouth, but what else would be a decent fish to go for? I would like to try Carp fishing, as well as crappie and pickerel. I would also love to try landlocked salmon in aeroflex. Tips?

Any other tips and tricks for an amateur fisherman? Everything and all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 02:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Sussex County (Sparta) Fishing

Welcome to the board......
Put your time in and cover ground(on and off the board)
and you will catch fish.....Sorry i don't know ur area very well but others
WILL be able to help....good luck
Old 09-17-2014, 09:28 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

My best suggestion is to go off the beaten path. Look on Google Maps and find holes or farm ponds that you might have to take a walk through the woods or even drive if you have 4WD. My buddy Cody took me to a spot years ago that was just South of Stokes on the East side of 513 (I think that's the main Rd up there). We literally drove his Honda Civic across a field into the woods and fished this marshy pond that was loaded with hefty bass and monster pickerel. I've found most of the lakes up there have good populations of bass and pickerel, and if you can find a couple that don't get pressured, it can be lights out.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:34 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

A little-known pond that is loaded with big bass that hasn't been discovered is located on 每天一支广场舞]月亮传奇。郎咸平:李嘉诚的布阵透露的秘密 超模罗梅最新内衣写真曝光 豪放全裸. You can park your car right along the road and just walk in. The bass will be waiting for you.

In all seriousness, if you look at the number of views this thread will get this week you'll understand why people will only give vague answers. Once a good lake get burned, the bucket brigade will be crawling all over it like flies on a stinking pile of shit and all the bass that make a lake special will go home in coolers.

As they said, your best bet is to get out there and do some footwork.

Last edited by Eskimo; 09-17-2014 at 12:51 PM..
Old 09-17-2014, 03:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

1. There are many well known places so I see no reason to act as if they are state secrets. Within a short drive of Sparta you have Hopatcong, Lake Musconetcong, Cranberry Lake, the Swartswood lakes and Lake Jefferson among others

Drive a little farther and there are places such as Green Turtle Pond, Monksville, Sheppards Lake, Wawayanda. Split Rock, Pompton Lake and the Newark watershed reservoirs (permit required).

And even farther, Round Valley, Merrill Creek, Spruce Run are popular waters to fish. You can car top to any of those. All have good fishing.

2. This shows you many of the more popular lakes and whether or not they have car top launches and /or ramps and the type of fish you can expect.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2003/plcpnds03.pdf

3. I haven't fished specifically for carp in probably 40 years, but corn always worked for me back then. Pickerel and pike you'll often find the same places as bass. Edges of weeds, alongside or under down trees and stumps, hanging where the shallows drop off into deeper water. I throw plastics about 80 percent of the time. Texas rig, Carolina rig, drop shot and unweighted, hooked wacky or T-rig style. if you don't know these rigs, check Youtube.

Topwater plugs such as Devil Horse,Skitterpops, jitterbugs, poppers, Heddon Torpedoes, Rebel Frog-R, Zara Spooks, etc can be productive in the shallows as are most of the many frog imitations. It's also hard to go wrong with Rapalas.

There are just too many lures and methods to go into detail, jigs, spinners, spoons, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, buzzbaits, swimbaits, and gazillion kinds of plastics such as creatures, brush hogs, flukes, tubes, stickbaits, worms, frogs, lizards, you name it. Just play around with them and see what rigs, baits and methods work for you. It's hard to go wrong with a Senko no matter how you fish it.

I never fish specifically for crappy. They don't give much of a fight, but when I do catch them it's usually while I'm trolling for trout in the spring. I'm never targeted salmon but I suspect they'd generally hang out where the trout are.

Last edited by briansnat; 09-17-2014 at 04:15 PM..
Old 09-17-2014, 04:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post

A little-known pond that is loaded with big bass that hasn't been discovered is located on 每天一支广场舞]月亮传奇。郎咸平:李嘉诚的布阵透露的秘密 超模罗梅最新内衣写真曝光 豪放全裸. You can park your car right along the road and just walk in. The bass will be waiting for you.

In all seriousness, if you look at the number of views this thread will get this week you'll understand why people will only give vague answers. Once a good lake get burned, the bucket brigade will be crawling all over it like flies on a stinking pile of shit and all the bass that make a lake special will go home in coolers.

As they said, your best bet is to get out there and do some footwork.

Amen. Although the people who really ruin it are not bucket people but guys who fish the hell out of it each week because its "their honey hole" not realizing the more they go there, the harder - and smarter - the bass get. Gotta have self control and not over do it. I have at least 3 spots where 50 bass a day is "I bet my life on it" lock yet I only visit them 1 or 2 times a year. Gotta give them a break.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:54 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks for all the replies! I wasn't asking for a secret fishing hole, nor would I want anyone to give theirs up. I was just curious about some different areas I could try out.

The topics here are GREAT, thank you for the warm welcome!