NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Topwater Action, Missed a Biggun...... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-31-2014, 06:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Topwater Action, Missed a Biggun......

I went out for a bit yesterday. Spent about two hours in the morning determined to get one on topwater. First swipe came as I hopped my frog off some weeds and started walkin it. Decent lookin fish, maybe high 20s. Only problem was he missed the lure by more than a foot!!!

After a bit I came up to a nice weed patch and took a cast. Second jerk and the weeds blow up like a grenade went off. Saw his whole head and back come out, real thick!! Gave em sec to make sure he had it, went to set the hook on em and........ SNAP!! Line breaks above the leader........ Unreal, not sure if he got some of the slack line or I had some abrasions but, no dice. Just about threw my rod in the drink, lol!!

Funny how the hit in open water was missed by a mile but this guy came up through dense weeds and nailed it!

Went back to the usual suspects and picked up two in the teens before I had to pack it up. Still good times, but that ones gonna hurt for a while.............
Old 07-31-2014, 08:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Topwater Action, Missed a Biggun......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJerzyG View Post
I went out for a bit yesterday. Spent about two hours in the morning determined to get one on topwater. First swipe came as I hopped my frog off some weeds and started walkin it. Decent lookin fish, maybe high 20s. Only problem was he missed the lure by more than a foot!!!

After a bit I came up to a nice weed patch and took a cast. Second jerk and the weeds blow up like a grenade went off. Saw his whole head and back come out, real thick!! Gave em sec to make sure he had it, went to set the hook on em and........ SNAP!! Line breaks above the leader........ Unreal, not sure if he got some of the slack line or I had some abrasions but, no dice. Just about threw my rod in the drink, lol!!

Funny how the hit in open water was missed by a mile but this guy came up through dense weeds and nailed it!

Went back to the usual suspects and picked up two in the teens before I had to pack it up. Still good times, but that ones gonna hurt for a while.............
Sounds like my day, I had literally had 30 min to fish so I wasn't expecteing much from the shore in the middle of the day. 3 casts in pike swipes my spinnerbait about 2 feet from shore. Saw him but didn't hook him. I cast a couple more times and then heard an explosion in the water 10 ft down from me. I switch to a buzzbait and 6-7 casts later, I get a blow up... He misses, blows it up again about a second later and misses again. 10 min later finally hook up with one on a buzzbait, fight him, get him to the shore, grab my leader to hoist him up, SNAP... falls back in, I cursed loudly and left . But that top water bite must be on because I can't catch a cold on a buzzbait!
Old 08-01-2014, 07:57 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Welcome to my world! Love the topwater but its maddeningly frustrating. More then once I've had my pole in both hands ready to snap it. Here's the start of yesterdays adventure:

Get to work at 6:15, leave at 3:00. At river by 3:30. First cast - swipe/miss. Second cast -swipe/hook/fall off. Third cast swipe/miss. 4th,5th,6th casts -nada. 7th cast swipe/hook up/falloff. Casts 8,9,10 - nada. Move on...Next hit I get is a 30"+ fish and I'm battling it and then its gone. I reel in the line: it actually broke the snap on my steel leader. wtf. Thats pretty much how the next 4 hrs went.

Last edited by buzzbaiter; 08-01-2014 at 08:01 AM..
Old 08-01-2014, 09:10 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

That's the hardest part for me.. Give em a sec to get it in his throat!!! I still miss fish trying to set soon as they hit.. ITS VERY HARD TO DO!!! LOL.. Topwater's gotta be the most exciting way to get em, even if u think u are, ur Never ready for a BIG BLOW UP!! Personally unless im finesse fishing I go over kill on LB test line.. I HATE loosing fish n lures.. It really helps land the big ones and gives u some horse power that can stop em' from going were u don't want em too'.. Yo at least u got em to go dude u tricked his ass!!!! GET EM'