NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

The Bi-State Shad Fishing Contest - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-30-2014, 05:49 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: The Bi-State Shad Fishing Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Wisherman View Post
I have boat (ok....14' with 5hp motor...almost a boat), but know nothing about shad fishing (or fishing the Big D in general).

Who's willing to share their knowledge in exchange for a boat ride?
The 5hp is light for the river at normal flows. A 9.9 can struggle at times depending on the weight of the boat and its passengers w/ gear. However, there are some places where you can put the boat in and be able to get to the fish without too much trouble.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

First Shad caught on the Delaware this weekend. One in Easton and one at Scudders Fall were reported. It's go time!!!
Old 03-30-2014, 07:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Wisherman View Post
I have boat (ok....14' with 5hp motor...almost a boat), but know nothing about shad fishing (or fishing the Big D in general).

Who's willing to share their knowledge in exchange for a boat ride?
Five hp is a little weak for the river. I use a 9.9 on a 15ft and have no trouble, I usually launch out of Riegelsville, pretty calm there, I have used a 2.5 on a 12 and was fine there. One thing that should be mandatory on the river is a good anchor, one that will bite. I use a grapple and it should be rigged for the river, nylon ties or a slidder so you can back it out, but a 8# mushroom is just not going to get it. If your engine gives you trouble you go down river fast. Good to have a sharp knife handy to. If you get turned around in the current and the anchor line gets caught on the engine it will pull you backwards in the current and can fill the boat fast. Hope this helps, the river is a great place just respect it and be careful.

Last edited by flatcreek; 03-31-2014 at 07:50 AM..
Old 03-31-2014, 07:01 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Water temps hit 43 degrees in Trenton yesterday. With these 3 days of warm rain we should be well on our way to getting into some shad. As soon as those water temps climb 4 or 5 more degrees it should be game on. I'm ready!! Been chomping at the bit to hit the Big D for my 25 th straight shad run . Wouldn't miss this for the world. Good luck!!
Old 04-02-2014, 03:41 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Hey guys there is a meet and greet, swap meet show and tell on April 8th at the Dyle Bray VFW post in Bangor PA. Everything shad with free eats...Would like to see you there.

Check out the website news and notes for info

www.shadfishingcontest.com
Old 04-08-2014, 02:56 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

The Meet and Greet is tonight folks. Hope to see some of you there. 202Veterans Rd, Bangor PA

www.shadfishingcontest.com
Old 04-09-2014, 07:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

There here!!!! Wilson
Old 04-11-2014, 09:43 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

There were hammered in the Easton area today. Two weeks to go until the contest. The prize structure is more than likely going to increase and you have to be in it to win it. Come on guys it is going to be a great event. Check out the fishing reports page at www.shadfishingcontest.com.