NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Split Rock 6/9 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-10-2017, 03:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Split Rock 6/9

Visited Split Rock yesterday for the first time with my own kayak.

Around 5:30 AM halfway between there and Bridgewater I realized I forgot sunscreen. Going to get a new drybag for essentials so I can bail myself out when the memory fails as at that hour there was no place to stop in a pinch. When I arrived only one other car was there. I also found one of the rear saddles on the roofrack kayak-holder had somehow cracked when I arrived too.

The launch is no joke for a well-rigged fishing kayak, multiple rods, and a small cooler. Once I had the yak in the water and I went to install the pod with my fishfinder, battery, and tackle I slipped and slid on the mud into the water. Landed on my feet but had a skidmark on my shorts for the day and had to use my kayak seat in the car so I didn't deposit any on the car seat.

Water was calm and winds light when I got out around 6:30-ish. I had very limited knowledge of the lake having only fished there once before 5 years ago with a guide only for a few hours. When other guys got out after me they seemed to head straight for the back portion, not sure if this part is more fishy or just a way to be left largely alone by the googans who arrive later in the day and don't venture as far?

I picked up 2 pugnacious smallies, one before hitting the big island in the middle and the other along the left side of it. I had a ton of tugs and pulls but only managed to hook into those.

Wind picked up and it was a bit tough from there. Paddled/trolled around and marked a lot of sizable fish but nothing doing with that.

Found a big-boulder that made an island and called it mine by peeing on it.

Didn't make it all the way to the back but close. Very different kind of water constantly only 3 to 4 feet deep and a lot of lily pads and vegetation. Looked promising to get my first Split Rock largemouth but wasn't meant to be.

Wind was going against me the whole paddle back in so took awhile. Got back to the boatramp around 1 PM so a good, long day on the water. Arms were nice and tired.

Note to self, the "launch" area is to the right of the 2 paths down. I mistakenly went left which had an area that was easier to get stuff out of the water but a lot more difficult situation getting stuff back to the parking lot. Won't make that mistake again (although there were people fishing from shore in the other area where I had launched from which would have been another pain).

Really enjoyable lake to be out on, will try to visit again this summer if I can. Pic of the bigger of the 2 fish, nothing huge on the day but enough to pull me around a bit and show off some aerial acrobatics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0175-1.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	111123  
Old 06-12-2017, 08:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Split Rock 6/9

Glad you got to the ROCK !!
Old 06-12-2017, 08:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Split Rock 6/9

welcome to the rock, that launch is a bit nasty but is not for candyasses. the back is a ways away from the launch. did you try the smaller channel to the right of the big island, larrys like to hang around there and like small grub jigs. if you go all the way back to the end of the res you can find a small stream that comes in from the smoke rise woods and bass and crappies like that spot as well .glad to hear you got to dance with some splitrock bronzebacks
Old 06-13-2017, 08:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebadger View Post
welcome to the rock, that launch is a bit nasty but is not for candyasses. the back is a ways away from the launch. did you try the smaller channel to the right of the big island, larrys like to hang around there and like small grub jigs. if you go all the way back to the end of the res you can find a small stream that comes in from the smoke rise woods and bass and crappies like that spot as well .glad to hear you got to dance with some splitrock bronzebacks
The launch is a pain and a blessing for the same reason. Definitely worth the trouble though.

I hit the wider channel to the left of the big island and picked up my second smallie there. Had quite a few tugs and pulls over there as well but small stuff. I went the width of the back of the island trying to find a sheltered spot from the wind and went past the narrower channel but didn't venture into it. I'll have to hit that one up the next time, on my paddle back I went the way I came in since I had some luck there.

I didn't make it all the very way to the back but was close. Will try to explore the stream too. I was just digging having to navigate the little islands and how shallow it was on that end.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:43 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

There is no shore fishing allowed not that it matters
Old 06-14-2017, 10:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

there is shore line fishing allowed now a game warden told me this at the pequest open house.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:41 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

You can fish from the shore because:

As of Jan. 2015, Splitrock became an official NJDF&W Wildlife Management Area:

“Wildlife Management Areas are closed from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. unless engaged in lawful hunting, fishing or trapping activities. Special permission may be granted for division approved activities.”

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/wmaregs.htm
Old 06-15-2017, 05:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I stand corrected. Please don't tell the bucket brigade.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post

Found a big-boulder that made an island and called it mine by peeing on it.
lol I just saw this- I think it had plants once but we've all peed them off going across the pond
towards the back right (in line with launch) there's a beaver that lives by there. Did his tail smack and I almost crapped my dry pants
Old 06-26-2017, 12:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

So, shore fishing and night fishing seem to be in play, as long as you are fishing.