NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Waywayanda - Where are the salmon hiding? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-18-2017, 11:45 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Waywayanda - Where are the salmon hiding?

Does anyone know where the salmon are hanging out in Waywayanda?
Old 04-19-2017, 07:07 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Waywayanda - Where are the salmon hiding?

Supposedly by the drop offs away from the ramp. Im gonna try to hit there in a few weeks
Old 04-19-2017, 12:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

in my fairly limited experience if they aren't within the first 5 ft of water they're in the next 5-150 ft of water haha

but seriously, def need a fish finder, troll some shallow diving small-med plugs and spoons while looking for deeper marks, if you see deep marks it's probably salmon so you just have to get down to them. i've never been able to get them to hit a vertical jig unfortunately. i'd recommend getting there before sunrise btw.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 04-19-2017, 04:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

They have not been behaving like they normally do up top this time of the year. The am bite has not been as strong as the afternoon bite.

Had a few off the beach outside the weed line and the back side of the lake along the drop along the west side, trolling spoons & diving plugs. Nothing bigger than 2 lbs.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:04 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I fished there yesterday. We saw quite a few fish caught, the fishing getting better as the water warms. right now small baits and small lures are the ticket. Steve
Old 04-27-2017, 10:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
in my fairly limited experience if they aren't within the first 5 ft of water they're in the next 5-150 ft of water haha

but seriously, def need a fish finder, troll some shallow diving small-med plugs and spoons while looking for deeper marks, if you see deep marks it's probably salmon so you just have to get down to them. i've never been able to get them to hit a vertical jig unfortunately. i'd recommend getting there before sunrise btw.
They readily hit jigs, but typically not "jigged" vertically in the conventional way.. They seem to hit a RIPPED hair bucktail, or one retrieved with big fast sweeps.. Never done very well on them on plastic bodies either, although 25 years ago I caught a 9 pounder on a Mister twister that looked like it came out of a $5 little kids Kmart tackle box... usually they want a bucktail moved fast and with some flash... They hit blade baits as well, I caught an 8 pounder last year on one...... I can't speak for waywayanda, but here in NY they don't go as deep as browns or lakers, and even in mid summer many are caught in water less than 30 feet deep.. If i were going to try to catch LL in NJ, i would get there while its dark.. They hit best VERY early, and do like fast moving lures.. You can't move a lure too fast for them.

Don't be afraid to try blade baits, inline spinners such as brightly colored Rooster Tails or small 1/2 ounce spoons such as a Little Cleo. I have done well at times with all of those.. However, for me, a white or chartreuse 1/4 oz. hair jig with some silver or gold flash is hard to beat,, let it sink 20-25 feet down early am, and RIP it back with big sweeps... bob
Old 04-28-2017, 04:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Waywayanda - Where are the salmon hiding?

From what I have read and heard WeedWEanda is a tough nut to crack.