NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Salmon River Advice - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-11-2017, 06:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Salmon River Advice

Hello,

First question is when are the salmon gone from the river and the browns and rainbows move in? Late October into early November? I'm on vacation the last part of October into early November. I'd love to try to catch some of those browns and rainbows. Plus miss the craziness of the Salmon Run.

The other question is can someone tell me the rod, reel, line, bait, hook size and the rest. I'd truly appreciate it.

Thank you

Mom, I love you so much and I will never stop missing you.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:20 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Salmon River Advice

When we have a normal run not like the crap few years salmon season peaks last week of september first week october. They start trickling in first week september one here and there.... steelies and browns show up with the first few big runs of salmon if you know where to look and target them u will catch a few early chromers!
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 02-12-2017, 07:55 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

MT is correct with salmon run but forget about missing the craziness. Many many moons ago after the salmon run slowed you could go up there and find nice sections to Steelhead fish but those days are long gone. The river never really stops being crowded until the snow starts flying . The first few weeks of Nov now look like Salmon Season and the worst part is the steelhead numbers have dropped off drastically.

Regarding the tackle are you looking to fly , spin , float ?
Old 02-12-2017, 11:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Spinning rod and reel

Mom, I love you so much and I will never stop missing you.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:15 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

When I use a spinning outfit up there for Brown's and Steel it's a 10 ft Loomis, I believe the line rating is 4 - 8 lb. With this you can both bottom bounce or float fish. Make sure the reel has a very smooth drag and load it up with 8lb mono. Please don't use braid on the rivers up there.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The steelhead/brown/rainbow run is really off and has been for about 3 years now. I think they are going to.find that there is a serious problem with 1) the lake and 2) the fact that that run has become insanely popular, over fished and under stocked. Forget the Salmon River and head west.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Some good advice so far. If it's your first time up there and not familar with the river and the tactics I highly recommend fishing with a guide. A drift boat will let you cover a lot of water, the guide will have the proper rod and reel setups plus what you can learn in one day with a good guide would take many trips to learn on you own
Instagram @bloody_decks_bowfishing
Facebook - team bloody decks
Old 02-12-2017, 11:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawareriver View Post
Some good advice so far. If it's your first time up there and not familar with the river and the tactics I highly recommend fishing with a guide. A drift boat will let you cover a lot of water, the guide will have the proper rod and reel setups plus what you can learn in one day with a good guide would take many trips to learn on you own
I have to wholeheartedly agree with DR on this one. A good guide will dramatically shorten your learning curve for this fishery and be money well spent! I have over 30 years of fishing up there and truly wish there had been the quality, knowledgeable guides around way back then that there are now. I could have saved many fruitless hours learning what NOT to do!
Old 02-13-2017, 12:43 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Yep agree get a guide with a boat and don't just fish ask a lot of questions. The trip with the guide should be used for learning the section of river not about sitting in one spot trying to get numbers. I have fished with plenty of people up there that went with guides and still had no clue. Most guides are there to get you fish and a good one should get you some hookups. However if you launch and drift 1/2 mile in the dark to get a spot then sit there all day. At the end you pick up and fly down to the takeout. What did you learn not much . That is a typical trip right now because of the time of year. Instead tell your guide I want to see a certain section and learn it for the future and if we hook fish great , but understand it about picking his brain on holding areas and technique. A trip like that will put you so far ahead of DIY.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Get a guide if you have the money but it's not necessary. Learning yourself is much more rewarding in my opinion. I started out without a guide and it was tough but some of my favorite experiences. Basic rigs and bait can be researched online and also the stores up there can be a big help including spots and areas to fish.

For targeting trout from November threw April -long rod around 10ft, light line 6-10lb, small hooks size 6-10, lures anything from pink worms, egg sacs, beads, and jigs. If you want to miss the craziness and don't mind the cold , winter can be a great time.