NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

What do I need to sell a registered canoe to somone - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-29-2016, 07:02 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default What do I need to sell a registered canoe to somone

I purchased the canoe from dicks a year ago and went to DMV to register it because I was putting motor on it now I wanna sell it but I can't remember or find a title but I have the receipt from DMV. Does anyone know how to sell a registered canoe or if they even give titles for them
Old 08-29-2016, 08:56 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: What do I need to sell a registered canoe to somone

Go to DMV they have a form for non titled boats. I don't think they title boats under 12 feet but I could be wrong.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Do not go to the Randolph dmv! You have been warned. They are worthless haha.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 08-30-2016, 07:46 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I bought a scanoe off of someone and went to DMV to register it so that I could put a trolling motor on the back. 14'. I needed title, prior registration and a notarized sales letter. This was bakers basin in Mercer DMV.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:21 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you got it registered you must have the registration. You should not have been able to get it without a title. Go to DMV and get a new title. If you can't get what you need at a given DMV go to another one. You could also sell the canoe and the motor separately which may get you more money.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:44 AM
dakota560

As mentioned, if you have a canoe that's not under 12' or is under 12' but is motorized, it needs to be titled. If you lost the title, go the the DMV website and look under stolen, lost damaged titles to find out what's involved in getting a duplicate title. You do need one and documents you need at the DMV depends on a number of factors including whether the canoe is financed or not. When you go, I'd point out your there for a new title, sometimes you won't have to wait in line for all the people there for a new registration. If you go there to find out what documents you need for a new title, tell someone that's why your in line and maybe they'll let you in to ask your question instead of waiting two hours in line just to be harassed when you get to the desk. NJDMV has got to be the worst run operation there is in the state these days, not a pleasant experience at all and the people working there are some of the nastiest people I've ever met. Think you have to have a criminal record to work there these days!

Last edited by dakota560; 08-30-2016 at 09:51 AM..
Old 08-30-2016, 11:55 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

They do not issue titles for boats under 12 feet in NJ is what I was told when I went to the DMV after buying a jon boat from someone in PA. They told me registeration is all that was needed for proof of ownership in NJ. They told me if I wanted to sell it to just get a notarized bill of sale and sign the registration over to the buyer.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:07 PM
dakota560

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMac14 View Post
They do not issue titles for boats under 12 feet in NJ is what I was told when I went to the DMV after buying a jon boat from someone in PA. They told me registeration is all that was needed for proof of ownership in NJ. They told me if I wanted to sell it to just get a notarized bill of sale and sign the registration over to the buyer.
With the exception if it's powered, which the initial poster of the thread said it was, so he does need to title it. If he lost the Title, he'll need a replacement to transfer ownership otherwise the buyer won't be able to Title it or obtain registration at DMV. If the boat is under 12 ft and the seller chooses to sell just the canoe without the motor, I'm not sure what the buyer would experience at DMV. Their records indicate that ID number was titled initially, so I would think DMV would refuse registration in the absence of a fully executed Title document in that case as well. Best for everyone to just get a replacement Title, there's a reason it was issued to begin with so not having it can only cause complications trying to sell it.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Telling you exactly what they told me at the DMV. The fact that it is motorized only meant that it had to be registered not that they would issue a title. Once again they should be fine with a notarized bill of sale and the registration transfer. This is what I was told at Hazlet DMV. Did not have a problem transfering his PA registration to my NJ 1 with this.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Boats.htm

Last line states it. You may be confusing the powered statement in relation to registering a boat in NJ
Las

Last edited by RyanMac14; 08-30-2016 at 03:04 PM..
Old 08-30-2016, 03:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

There are a lot more people out there who only want a canoe and who only want a motor. It is by far the better way to do this which I have 3 times.