NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Whole Fish - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Recipes
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Recipes Use this board to post your favorite recipes

Old 03-29-2015, 02:04 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Whole Fish

After going on a Gambler offshore sea bass trip this year and keeping for the first time whole Sea Bass, I find it kind of weird(best word I can think of) that we still fillet a majority of our fish on many of the trips we do. It gets kind of procedural and compulsory, so it makes sense why we do it. But I tell ya, I baked a whole 4lb BSB in the oven and I could not believe how much more extra meat I had than compared to the fillets only. Cheek meat, rib meat, and meat between the spine bones. It adds up. I am not sure how many of us here keep fish whole, but I am not gonna get fish filleted too often anymore. I know I said it a thousand damn times in the BSB regulation posts, but it really gets us more bang for our buck. If a whole Sea Bass worked out better, I can imagine a whole Cod or Striper being even more better .... (I know many of the guys on here keep Stripers whole and it's a great thing to keep on seeing in my opinion.)

SNAPPER

A proud customer of Ancient Mariner's Bait and Tackle for 9 years. (AND COUNTING....)

Last edited by snapperbluefish101; 03-30-2015 at 05:51 PM..
Old 03-29-2015, 07:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thumbs up Re: Whole Fish

If other members of your household do not wish to see the head come out of the oven then at least cut the cheeks out of a striper and cook them. Really good tasting morsels.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:09 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Whole Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by june181901 View Post
If other members of your household do not wish to see the head come out of the oven then at least cut the cheeks out of a striper and cook them. Really good tasting morsels.
+1 on that for sure.

A proud customer of Ancient Mariner's Bait and Tackle for 9 years. (AND COUNTING....)

Old 03-29-2015, 09:44 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I agree filleting leaves a lot of meat behind. So what I do is after filleting I cut the carcass up to fit in a pot with a little water, celery, and onion and steam it for about 15 minutes. Then save the stock and flake the meat off. Good for chowder or fish cakes...Charlie
Old 03-30-2015, 05:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
I agree filleting leaves a lot of meat behind. So what I do is after filleting I cut the carcass up to fit in a pot with a little water, celery, and onion and steam it for about 15 minutes. Then save the stock and flake the meat off. Good for chowder or fish cakes...Charlie
Also +1 on that one. Fish stock is ridiculously delicious.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Gut, scale, score and batter a whole scup. Deep fry and enjoy... The fins fry through and eat like potato chips and you can pick the fish clean! I do the same with haddock, cunner, and smaller keeper sized tog.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Cut the head off a nice size cod, take out the gills and simmer , drain and keep stock if you like but pick the cooled meat off refrigerate. Cut up some leftover cold boiled potatoes and warm up in a béchamel sauce with pepper and horseradish, add cod chunks and heat though trying not to break up the chunks. Simply heaven.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:59 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

A while back I posted a recipe for Thai-style sea bass along with a picture of a whole fish prepared with the recipe. When you cook a fish whole, the bones give the meat more flavor.

This year my wife made fishhead soup from the head of a large striper. It takes a lot of work to clean the head but the cooking after that is easy. I can post the recipe but probably nobody is going to be interested.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Black sea bass scaled, gutted, and finned with a couple of slices on both sides in the skin, put a couple of butter pats inside the fish with a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder, coated with a little olive oil on the grill over medium heat ten minutes on each side....outstanding!
Old 06-13-2016, 09:57 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My Dad went through the depression. He would hitchhike down to the Longbranch Pier to fish and hitchhike home. He would never filet a fish said it was a waste. I can remember him being critical of a friend of his telling me they filet all their fish. All the fish I ate when I was a kid was baked or broiled whole. We're spoiled today.