NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Shimano tld service and drag upgrade - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 12-13-2013, 06:16 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Shimano tld service and drag upgrade

I read a post a while back about a guy in jersey thar services and upgrades the drags on tld 30's and 50's. Does anyone know who this is? Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Shimano tld service and drag upgrade

Hey Kevin,

Here are a few options that I know of.
Reel Seat in Pt Pleasant. they work on all type of reels.
Sportsmans Center in Boredentown. Not sure if they still are an authorized Shimano repair center.

I would check with David or John at Reel Seat first as they are a sponsor.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:02 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Hey Kevin,

Here are a few options that I know of.
Reel Seat in Pt Pleasant. they work on all type of reels.
Sportsmans Center in Boredentown. Not sure if they still are an authorized Shimano repair center.

I would check with David or John at Reel Seat first as they are a sponsor.
Thanks for the recommendation! We are actually located in Brielle.

The Reel Seat, Inc
Serving the Salt Water fishing community since 1982
707 Union Ave (Rt 71), Brielle
(732) 223-5353
www.reelseat.com
Old 12-17-2013, 06:29 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A
Thanks for the recommendation! We are actually located in Brielle.
Did you relocate yet? How much per reel to service?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:37 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander II
Did you relocate yet? How much per reel to service?
We will be moving in Jan and opening on Feb 15. Our present location is open until Xmas Eve. Please call for pricing.
Thanks,
Dave

The Reel Seat, Inc
Serving the Salt Water fishing community since 1982
707 Union Ave (Rt 71), Brielle
(732) 223-5353
www.reelseat.com
Old 12-19-2013, 07:13 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The upgrade on the drag has a down side. I have upgraded both personal and customers reels and some of our customers do not like how the drag settings become so sensitive afterwards.

Once you make the "standard" upgrade, you lose some range on the drag. Every click increases the drag much more than it did in its stock condition out of the box. More or less your going from 0 to 100 much quicker. It becomes more of a "micro drag", as they call it on other brands.

How much drag are looking to get out of it? There a couple of things that can be done to the stock drag, to make it smoother, and a hair bit stronger. But if your looking to get more power out of it, your going to sacrifice the gradual increase and end up with a much more sensitive drag setting.

If your still planning on having some play on the low/mid range of the drag, rethink this. If your looking to use them in a higher setting, than yes.... go forward with it. In its current state, your gaining a few pounds with a couple of clicks, but after the change, you will notice a larger increase per click.

I hope I am explaining this right here.... so you understand it. Sometimes just an overall service/grease or change of the drag washers will improve the reel to a customers liking.

Just some info on this, since I noticed your asking based on what you have heard. If you have not used one that has been changed, maybe check out a friends reel first, to make sure. Good luck. If I can answer or help, contact me over email or PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyCoast
The upgrade on the drag has a down side. I have upgraded both personal and customers reels and some of our customers do not like how the drag settings become so sensitive afterwards.

Once you make the "standard" upgrade, you lose some range on the drag. Every click increases the drag much more than it did in its stock condition out of the box. More or less your going from 0 to 100 much quicker. It becomes more of a "micro drag", as they call it on other brands.

How much drag are looking to get out of it? There a couple of things that can be done to the stock drag, to make it smoother, and a hair bit stronger. But if your looking to get more power out of it, your going to sacrifice the gradual increase and end up with a much more sensitive drag setting.

If your still planning on having some play on the low/mid range of the drag, rethink this. If your looking to use them in a higher setting, than yes.... go forward with it. In its current state, your gaining a few pounds with a couple of clicks, but after the change, you will notice a larger increase per click.

I hope I am explaining this right here.... so you understand it. Sometimes just an overall service/grease or change of the drag washers will improve the reel to a customers liking.

Just some info on this, since I noticed your asking based on what you have heard. If you have not used one that has been changed, maybe check out a friends reel first, to make sure. Good luck. If I can answer or help, contact me over email or PM.
Thank you for all the info. I'm not looking to fight giants on these reels, but I thought the upgrade would make it smoother. I'm thinking of going with just a service, as it been a while. From what you say, grease and washers are what they need.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:00 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Many times you will find that this simple service is all that is needed. If a shop takes advantage and charges guys for the extra work not done, that's on them.

No way to know for sure until they are opened, but thats what it sounds like to me. That upgrade didnt sound like what you wanted and I hate to see you end up unhappy based on what " we hear online"

Good luck.... if we can help, let us know. Otherwise, you have an idea of what you want now. Thats the important thing.