NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

warmouth - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-11-2013, 11:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default warmouth

I think I never caught them before, any places to fish for them? How big are they?

Last edited by zhitoman; 06-11-2013 at 11:44 PM..
Old 06-11-2013, 11:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: warmouth

They are everywhere...... all over in the passaic with rock bass....
Old 06-12-2013, 12:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Tough question. Common names for panfish can get confusing. I did a Google search for "warmouth" and I'm even more confused than I was before.

If you mean Lepomis gulosus. Here's a map of their range.
http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/facts...?SpeciesID=376

I'm not sure I've ever seen one of those.

If you mean the Rock Bass (Ambloplites rupestris, Ambloplites constellatus) they are all over. They attach themselves to every bait and lure in the evening in the Delaware River. I also catch a lot of them at Merrill Creek Reservoir, especially around the rip rap dams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_bass
Old 06-12-2013, 12:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1
They are everywhere...... all over in the passaic with rock bass....
those are green sunfish, not warmouth. they are pretty similar looking however. they are invasive and it is technically illegal to release them back into the water... kill-on-catch is mandated. at this point though, there is no going back with them, the populations are too well situated.

Last edited by acabtp; 06-12-2013 at 12:24 AM..
Old 06-12-2013, 12:46 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i like sunfish. around here, our usual suspects (and the identifying characteristic i use to tell them apart) are the bluegill (black spot behind gill, olive body), pumpkinseed (prominent greenish/blue spot pattern on sides, tiny mouth), redbreast sunfish (bright red belly, larger mouth) and the green sunfish (green spots, larger mouth). of these, red breasts give the best fight pound per pound, IMO.

sometimes the males and females of the species will look different. with bluegills for example, males get an orangey belly and females get more of a beige/cream colored belly. male redbreasts have a brighter red belly than the females as well. i find it harder to tell the difference with pumpkinseeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo
Tough question. Common names for panfish can get confusing.
even more confusing, most members of the lepomis genus will easily hybridize. so you might end up catching a pumpkin-gill or a greenseed. they look pretty much like you'd expect, somewhere in between the two source species. however they don't always act in-between... bluegill-redbreast sunfish hybrids are some of the largest and hardest fighting panfish in northern NJ. in the places where i can catch them regularly, they are much larger than either the regular bluegills or the redbreasts... averaging 10-11" while straight bluegills go 8-9" and redbreasts 6-7" in the same body of water. the difference in size could be a hybrid vigor type of thing (like with tiger muskies or splake), or they could just be better suited to the locations than the parent species are on their own. either way, i find it interesting.

rock bass are in a different genus and don't really look like these other sunnies

Last edited by acabtp; 06-12-2013 at 12:53 AM..
Old 06-12-2013, 12:48 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you are intent on catching a warmouth or a green sunfish then you can catch them right across the street from AMC Clifton Commons movie theatre in the little pond/waterfall/stream that is there.... its called kingsland lake (its a small pond) with small waterfall its right on kingsland rd in Clifton NJ..
Old 06-12-2013, 01:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i had a PM asking about those hybrid fish, here are a couple pics to differentiate them

this is a typical adult female bluegill. note the shape of the fish (how tall it is vs how long), and the round black gill flap's location.

this is a typical adult male bluegill. same body shape as the female, but different coloring. the slightly red belly under the chin ends before the pelvic fins.

this is a typical adult redbreast sunfish. note the shape of the fish is different from the bluegill (the redbreast is 'shorter'), the red eye, the pronounced red coloration of the belly extending all the way to the anal fin, the red scales pattern speckling on the sides, and the shape of the black gill flap which sticks out from the gill a bit before the darker coloring begins and is long and oval.

this is a hybrid bluegill / redbreast sunfish. note that it is shaped like a bluegill, has an eye like a bluegill, but has the red belly and speckling of the redbreast, and that the gill flap is huge - a combination of the shape/size of the two parent species that starts out a ways from the gill.

i'll have to see if i can dig up good pictures of the other types of hybrids that you can run across

Last edited by acabtp; 06-12-2013 at 01:57 AM..
Old 06-12-2013, 09:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Man I haven't heard of warmouth since I was up in NH in college. I use to catch them all the time in small ponds and what not on small cranks and inline spinners and like others have said they are invasive. To be honest it could be pretty difficult at time to tell them apart from of the hybrid sunfish/bluegill/green sunny. There pretty neat looking though but it wouldn't hurt that where ever you think your catching them to report it to F&W. They do a lot of research to prevent these species but also rely on fisherman reports to help identify problem areas.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:39 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

acabtp, great post. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:47 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks acabpt, great pictures and descriptions. We always lumped them all together and just called them sunnies. They can be a lot of fun to catch with a fly rod on ponds.