NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Flike Jigs - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 05-15-2013, 10:32 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Flike Jigs

Does anyone know of any way to powder paint fluke jigs so that you can get fine lines & details? I heard there is a " MAGIC LIQUID" that u can mix with the powder & convert to a liquid so u can use a air brush. Anyone have any experience with this ??? Or any other ideas how to achieve fine lines & details on the jigs? Any info would be very much appreciated.
THANKS, Tom
Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Flike Jigs

Why not powder coat then Airbrush your details over then dip it in some clearcoat?
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 05-15-2013, 07:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The only way to get true detail results with powder is to use a fluid bed. And even then you loose many of the fine details. The scale patterns and gill lines.
this is an inherent problem with powder in minnow type jig heads and other jigs that have more detail.

The problem is, the readily available ones, say from ebay are too small for 3-4 oz. minnows and above. So you will need to make your own.Plans are available online.
This is just one of the reasons jigs cost what they do. Folks think its easy and super profitable, and anyone can do it...why so expensive? None of it is true, believe me! Ask any maker of bucktail jigs on this board. We aren't doing it necessarily for money..Cause we'd all starve. We do it for the love of it.
Tying bucktails is a love hate relationship for sure. You gotta love it to do it.
I have heard of magic fluid to spray , but then i say why not just spray enamels or acrylics and use a good sealer? I don't care if i get a chip or loose some paint i generally loose the jig in the rocks way before the paint comes off!!!

www.palmersbucktails.com
EMAIL:
anthonyspalmer@gmail.com

Last edited by PALMERS TACKLE; 05-19-2013 at 06:11 PM..
Old 05-16-2013, 05:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

After you dip your main colors you can use a paint pen for your details then heat the jig and dip in a clear powder. You can bake the jig after that and the paint should be ok. I forget which paint pen it is though.