NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Best setup to fish for Stripers - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 05-01-2013, 03:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Best setup to fish for Stripers

What is the best way to get set up for fishing stripers with plugs and jigs, or are they 2 different setups? Would like to just take 1 rod with me, should I go conventional or spinning? And what is the best way to tie the plug or jig onto the line? I have most of my reels set up with braid in the 50 lb range. Do I need about a 100' of 30lb mono on top?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Best setup to fish for Stripers

Take 1 rod 12-25 or 15-30 lbs, jump on one of the party boats and the mate will rig you up, and you can learn from them. Other fisherman aboard will be happy to help you as well.Convention or spinning is your choice.

As for your reel, IMO 30lb power pro backed with mono is a good choice, any tackle shop will be able to do this for you

Good luck

Last edited by Tommyg17; 05-01-2013 at 03:28 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyg17
Take 1 rod 12-25 or 15-30 lbs, jump on one of the party boats and the mate will rig you up, and you can learn from them. Other fisherman aboard will be happy to help you as well.Convention or spinning is your choice.

As for your reel, IMO 30lb power pro backed with mono is a good choice, any tackle shop will be able to do this for you

Good luck
not backing, you mean mono on top, right?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

email sent Dan

I marched 3/21/2012
No Facebook No Twitter No Text
Old 05-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

I like braid when anchored and clamming or chunking since it helps you detect bites.. This time of year when the fish are a little more sluggish it helps alot. When the season wears on and you are live lining bunker and the fish are hiting hard, I think mono is a better choice. Lost way too many fish using braid. Not enough stretch.

For casting and jigging I perfer a spinning rod since they are much easier to cast and you don't have to worry about birds nests. Other then that I use conventional reels.

If you want to cover all your basis with one reel, I would go with a Shimano Spinner Bait Runner set up since you can use it for all sorts of fishing. The bait runner feature is what makes these reels so versital since you can control the line out tension like you can with a conventional reel yet you have the ease of casting with a spinning reel.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 05-01-2013 at 04:42 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics
email sent Dan
Listen too Richie - trust me on this one and I have no idea what he sent you

But Richie will never steer you wrong

GDubs
Old 05-01-2013, 05:26 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

as previously mentioned. To cover a lot of applications I would suggest a Shimano Bait Runner also. I like the TFO rods for the price. Just be sure to find a nice sweet spot with the action. I like a bit more to the heavy side for snag and drop of bunker. I have 40# pp on mine. Friend has a giant spool so it was a freebie. Works great so far. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

For all you guys clamming stripers on just mono, what strength line are you using for your primary and what weight for your leader from the swivel to the hook on a fishfinder rig? Primarily party boat set-up is what I'm asking.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyStick
For all you guys clamming stripers on just mono, what strength line are you using for your primary and what weight for your leader from the swivel to the hook on a fishfinder rig? Primarily party boat set-up is what I'm asking.

Been using #20 mono (Momoi Diamond) for years for clamming.

Early in the season when fishing the backbay, I'll use #20 flurocarbon for leader. Once the water warms up and bluefish show up I'll go to either #30 or 40 depending on the amount of bluefish bites (more bluefish bites the heavier I go as I just don;'t like wasting time re-tying & it doesn't seem to effect the striper bite).
Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

15 lb mono with a minimum amount of weight and use a fishfinder that lets the line attached to the hook slip through the sinker. Open the bail and keep you finger on the line. When you fell the tap, let the line go, count to two, and close the bail/set the hook.