NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Think we will see Whiting in our lifetime? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Think we will see Whiting in our lifetime?

Just wondering.. I remember when NJ party boats stopped sailing for Tog in about mid November.. It was Whiting time, and believe it or not no one gave a crap about Tog.... Fall Tog season was about 6 weeks maybe.. Started early mid Oct, and were done when the Whiting and Ling came in solid inshore.

The whiting/ling boats had decent crowds but were rarely packed, because the fish were close in, and ALL the boats sailed for them,, so there was always room. In those days, if I recall correctly most of the bigger faster boats as far north as AH would sail all winter as long as the bay wasn't locked with ice. [As it WAS some years]... I sure miss those days.

In my opinion, if the Whiting come back strong, it will take a LOT of pressure off the blackfish, as it will give guys another option... I realize it will probably never happen.
The big foreign draggers took most of them, and a lot of us recreational guys did our share of damage as well, taking home galvanized garbage cans full, and running them over to Leroys on rt 36 to have them smoked... I hope they come back, but to be honest, I fear I may never see another one.. They were easily one of my favorite fish way back when. bob
Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Think we will see Whiting in our lifetime?

How old are ya!!??????
Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I loved the Whiting but as the dogfish population grew the Whiting population dwindled. I also believe part of the problem was overfishing as well by everybody like you mentioned. We needed the regulation like we now have in place to protect that fishery back then. They still do get Whiting up north but I'm not sure if it's a rod & reel fishery or not. I know if they shut down the Codfishing up north they may start targeting them again up there. I did hear that we still have them here in the canyons I'm not sure how true it is. I know that if people are willing to spend the money they now do for 15 Sea Bass I'm sure they would spend it for Whiting if they had to do a offshore trip for them. I only wish that somebody would try it & see if it's a feasible fishery down here or not.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

nope
Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

yes, I know there are scientests that siene, I even beleve there is somebody on this sight that does too, but they are saying that they are catching thousands of tiny whiting in their nets. the only thing we can do now is allow them to come back.

"You can watch things happen, make things happen or wonder what the !#$ just happened" - Captain Phil Harris

<><
Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Would be one of the greatest comebacks of all times, I miss those MAJIC HOUR trips !!!! Usually always came home with a 5 gallon bucket full which was more than enough to enjoy!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Banned

The whiting stock is not down, it's that the trawlers get them before they can even get to us.

These whiting we used to catch are Hudson Canyon stock and just like cod do these fish migrated inshore over the winter months.

It's simple, get rid of the Trawlers or at least cut the fleet in half and they will get a chance to come inshore.

Corporate Commercial fleets are what has ruined the whiting fishery, not hook and line.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Just look in the fish cases at any fish store and CRY over the size of the whiting that they bring in to sell the public. Ten (10) inches at best. How the hell can the stock reproduce when the regulations let the trawlers keep such small fish. Has a whiting that size even had a chance to reproduce once? I've told seafood owners and managers not to buy these undersize whiting. How much meat is on them? You would need a dozen to make one meal. Ridiculous! The government worries about a healthy fish stock like seabass but doesn't put their foot down in other places. Don't they go into stores and see what I see? It's pitiful to look at such small fish being sold. Unless there is a moritorium on whiting I honestly feel we will never see them in numbers again where they will be a targeted fish. And that is so sad. Don't get me started on the whiting (silver hake) depletion.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob
Just wondering.. I remember when NJ party boats stopped sailing for Tog in about mid November.. It was Whiting time, and believe it or not no one gave a crap about Tog.... Fall Tog season was about 6 weeks maybe.. Started early mid Oct, and were done when the Whiting and Ling came in solid inshore.

The whiting/ling boats had decent crowds but were rarely packed, because the fish were close in, and ALL the boats sailed for them,, so there was always room. In those days, if I recall correctly most of the bigger faster boats as far north as AH would sail all winter as long as the bay wasn't locked with ice. [As it WAS some years]... I sure miss those days.

In my opinion, if the Whiting come back strong, it will take a LOT of pressure off the blackfish, as it will give guys another option... I realize it will probably never happen.
The big foreign draggers took most of them, and a lot of us recreational guys did our share of damage as well, taking home galvanized garbage cans full, and running them over to Leroys on rt 36 to have them smoked... I hope they come back, but to be honest, I fear I may never see another one.. They were easily one of my favorite fish way back when. bob
You are an old salt like me and probably fished on the Long Branch Pier. Pm me if you would like a picture of the pier. I took it from my 16' boat the day before it was to be demolished.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:44 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The comercial guys with thier small mesh nets not only wiped out the whiting in our area; by doing so we lost the giant tuna that often frequented the Mud Hole to feed on them.