NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Hello! New, and getting back to fishing! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-23-2012, 06:23 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Hello! New, and getting back to fishing!

Hello All,

Name's Rich, I found this board while browsing, and its good to see some local forums for fishing!

I haven't done any real freshwater fishing since about 2003, and I'm looking to get back in the habit. I live in Bergen County, and I do not have a boat. Most of my experience is limited to Hudson River stripers and cats while growing up. I am mostly geared for the Hudson, and freshwater Bass. I have had much luck with LMB at a small pond in northern Passaic county, but I am looking to adventure into new spots.

Keeping in mind that I am limited to the shoreline, I have tried the following places without much luck: Green Turtle Pond, Monksville res., Shepherd's Pond, Scarlet Oak Pond, Ramapo Lake, and Lake Wawayanda.

I was thinking of trying out the following: Surprise Lake (West Milford), Lake Sonoma (Norvin Green SF), MacMillan Res (Mahwah), Lake Lookout (Wawayanda SF), Darlington Lake (Mahwah), White's Pond (Waldwick).

I wanted to ask if anyone has had any luck with Bass, or other notable species at any of the above lakes while fishing from the shore? Even though I like to explore, I don't have time to fish them all, and I would like to narrow my options. No spot burning or anything, just experiences are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Hello! New, and getting back to fishing!

welcome rj, use the 'search' feature for prior posts- tons of info here.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Hello! New, and getting back to fishing!

Welcome to the site Rich. Tycomps has a good point, go back and browse the 50 some pages of reports etc. I personally have only fished a few spots on that list, but have a boat. Hopefully we can get some posts on here to help you out. Don't worry about spot burning here, we all know there is no such thing thanx to Google Earth and sites like that.

Last edited by AndyS; 09-23-2012 at 08:37 PM..
Old 09-23-2012, 08:01 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks for the welcome!

I have been digging into the archives for a bit, and found some good stuff. Most of the places on the second list are remote, and don't seem to have threads on them. I wanted to see if If anyone happened to try those lakes.

There seems to be a lot of experienced hard-core and leisurely anglers here, and I love reading their experiences. Makes me want to get moving all the more.

I'll be sure to post my experiences as they unfold at these places.

Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Welcome aboard Rich. I live in Bergen and am also shorebound. I live in Waldwick, where abouts are you? Of the spots you mentioned, I can tell you about three. Whites Pond- lots of cookie cutter bass, sunfish, as well as catfish and some Big Carp. MacMillan Res has some nice bass as well as sunfish, crappie, and perch I believe. I have never caught anything from Darlington, but can tell you it is extremely weed choked. There are posts floating around about a women who caught a six pounder out of Darlington.

Anyway, good luck with the sweetwater. I will pm you my number and you can give me a call if you ever want to get out.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:11 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks for the post tjc76!

I'm from Dumont, but I spent a lot of time growing up (and have an affinity for) Northern Passaic and the surrounding region.

I like to find out of the way places, because the scenery is a big part of the trip for me. I will hike a few hours, if I have the time, to a spot. Thanks for the info on MacMillan, I could not find word one on that place.

Cheers!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Welcome RJ, lots of good info here and great people who aren't full of themselve or there equipment and always willing to help.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hey there, welcome Rich. Being that have an affinity for Northern Passaic and that you like hiking and scenery, I suggest you check out Lake Sonoma. It is up near Monksville (take Burnt Meadow Road off of Greenwood Lake Turnpike), but requires you hike in a half mile or mile to get to it. So you will have the place to yourself. Lots of wildlife and good fishing too. Sounds like a home run for you.

Coordinates: 41.1003, -74.3371

Enjoy!
Tom