NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Rod - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 04-24-2022, 02:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Rod

Is there a doggy between spiral wrap and conventional rod ? Just bought a Tsunami jigging rod that is spiral wrap. This is my first spiral wrap rod. What should I expect. Thanks
Old 04-24-2022, 04:34 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Rod

I believe it is supposed to distribute the load more evenly through the blank. Maybe it makes the bites easier to feel too? I do not have one. See what others say
Old 04-24-2022, 07:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Grem,
You will NOT be disappointed! I actually started building my own rods about 15 years ago because I learned about the spiral rod concept and was unable to find what I wanted around here. I started with tuna rods but now ALL my rods are spiral wrapped. Most guys have a hard time getting past the cosmetic side of the concept but, the practical side is hard to dispute.
In your case, on a jigging rod, you'll enjoy the way the line sheds off the top of the blank if you mistakenly loop the line over the top when jigging. My favorite result of the concept is the way the reel is held STRAIGHT UP when the blank is loaded in a fight. The rod will no longer try to twist in your hands during a fight which your forearms will love.
ENJOY!

SHORTS
Old 04-24-2022, 10:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

What Shorts (2na) said times 100...I have three spirals now and another on the way. All tuna rods, 80 or 60# depending on swordies or tuna, 50# and a 40#. The new one will be 40# and 30 or 50 as my mood swings. NOTE: ALL my reels have braid backing with a mono top-shot 150-200 yds, depending on line test so it isn't that big a deal to switch out top-shots and you can save the unloaded mono to reload later... The spiral wrap REALLY does eliminate the rod's tendency to twist under load and that is a blessing!!!

Enjoy your new rod, you're going to like it.
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)
Old 04-25-2022, 04:55 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks. I have anAbet SXJ loade with 30lb Power Pro. Will be using rod for sea bass and blacks
Old 04-26-2022, 03:57 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Started using a light weight spiral paired with a low profile bast casting reel a few years ago. They balance well at rest and as mentioned above, when you really have to put the screws to a heavier fish, the rod doesn't want to twist on you. I'm using a Blackhole Challenger 731M and the rod and reel combo is light enough to feel fish a blackfish jig hit the bottom and has enough backbone to hang a 10 ounce sinker when I'm bait fishing.

The Avet SX should pair up with your spiral well and if you find the reel wants to twist the rod on you at rest because of it's higher profile and weight, you might want to try a light weight low profile bait caster on it.

Good luck with your new set up and please post back here when you've had a chance to fish it.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 04-27-2022, 05:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I use the same reel Avet SX on a Bass Pro Gold Cup light ring guide rod for fluke with no tendency for rod to twist at least I've not noticed any so I think you'll not have any problems with the acid wrap.
Also have the Avet LX6 on a 7' light rod with light-weight Aftco roller guides loaded with 30# mono for tuna--no problems with that one either. Both are light enough not to want to twist 180*...Hope that helps....
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)