NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Busted My NJ Trout Cherry - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-23-2020, 09:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Busted My NJ Trout Cherry

I haven’t trout fished in NJ since the late 1970’s when I used to make an opening day trip to Indian Lake in Little Ferry-never caught a thing. I did do a fair amount of trout fishing on the Chattahoochee River when I lived in Georgia in the mid & late 1980’s-caught a good amount of rainbows to 25”s, a few browns to #4 and a handful of brookies.

My son and I made our first NJ trout foray this past Sunday with the help and guidance of 2 friends who have done well this spring. They not only told us the proper tackle and techniques to use but they were kind enough to share a few of there spots. Unfortunately we didn’t catch any. After we went our separate ways, my son and I discovered another spot upstream from the last spot they showed us. Although we didn’t catch (Jason did lose one), we saw several others caught.

We returned tonight and fished downstream from where we were the other day. We each ended up catching two rainbows to 15”s and missing a few bites.

In all honesty, not sure how much freshwater/trout fishing I’ll be doing but it is a nice change of place as well as nice knowing that I have an alternative to the salt.

Last edited by Skolmann; 04-24-2020 at 07:45 AM..
Old 04-24-2020, 07:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Busted My NJ Trout Cherry

Nice to see you over on the freshwater page! Once you have a really good day trout fishing, you'll be hooked. There's nothing like being deep in the woods alone or with friends/family catching a good number of 15" plus trout. I've had a few days like that which keeps me coming back.

Glad you had some success and enjoyed your time! The sweetwater is a lot of fun
Old 04-24-2020, 07:41 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skolmann View Post
I haven’t trout fished in NJ since the late 1970’s when I used to make an opening day trip to Indian Lake in Little Falls-never caught a thing. I did do a fair amount of trout fishing on the Chattahoochee River when I lived in Georgia in the mid & late 1980’s-caught a good amount of rainbows to 25”s, a few browns to #4 and a handful of brookies.

My son and I made our first NJ trout foray this past Sunday with the help and guidance of 2 friends who have done well this spring. They not only told us the proper tackle and techniques to use but they were kind enough to share a few of there spots. Unfortunately we didn’t catch any. After we went our separate ways, my son and I discovered another spot upstream from the last spot they showed us. Although we didn’t catch (Jason did lose one), we saw several others caught.

We returned tonight and fished downstream from where we were the other day. We each ended up catching two rainbows to 15”s and missing a few bites.

In all honesty, not sure how much freshwater/trout fishing I’ll be doing but it is a nice change of place as well as nice knowing that I have an alternative to the salt.
Always nice to change it up once in awhile... also on days it’s blowing in the salt trout fishing is a great alternative and you can get em just about all year long. If you and your son need any help or some really good spots I’d be more then happy to share a few
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 04-24-2020, 07:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey topaz View Post
If you and your son need any help or some really good spots I’d be more then happy to share a few
Appreciate the offer 👍. I’ve been meaning to do (or should I say start) freshwater fishing the past few years but either never had the time or the saltwater bite was too good. Plus I really didn’t have any knowledge/starting point.

I’m in the Manalapan/Freehold area, so I’m looking to concentrate my efforts in Monmouth & Ocean counties. So with what I know that would limit my targets to largemouth, pickerel, trout and assorted panfish. Maybe once I get some more knowledge & skill I’ll expand to smallmouth and pike.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skolmann View Post
I’m in the Manalapan/Freehold area, so I’m looking to concentrate my efforts in Monmouth & Ocean counties. So with what I know that would limit my targets to largemouth, pickerel, trout and assorted panfish. Maybe once I get some more knowledge & skill I’ll expand to smallmouth and pike.
Tie a ned rig on and you can target all of the above
Old 04-24-2020, 11:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice man!
Old 04-26-2020, 03:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Busted My NJ Trout Cherry

There’s always something to catch in NJ. Gotta love it! Sounds like you had fun!